Punctuation: ellipsis/省略号 

< Previous | Next >

ellindea

USA, English
大家好
I'm writing an essay in Chinese, and I don't know how an ellipsis, or ... , is written. Is it 。。。 , . . . , or something else? Also, just curious, what is the word for it?
谢谢 :)

Last edited:
  • Ghabi

Cantonese
    The 省略号 in Chinese has six dots …… (it should hang in the middle of the line, not on it, but I don't know how to do it here:().

ellindea

USA, English
    Hey, how did you do that?? In Word, I used superscript and it looks good, but how do you do it here?
    And thank you for your response! :)

samanthalee

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    If you are using Microsoft Chinese (PRC) Input, the ellipsis is at [^] which is [Shift]+[6]

If you are using Microsoft Chinese (Taiwan) Input, first toggle to "Full Shape". The ellipsis is at "underscore" which is [Shift]+[-].

The position of the ellipse is elusive; it is different for different input methods (I had used ChineseStar, NJstar, TwinBridge, RichWin). Every time I start using a new input method, I'll need to try every symbol key until I get a hit and then commit it to memory. :)

heatherzhu

chinese
    Hello,ellindea. I am writing something in English, and I kind of come across the same trouble. You see, I use an ellipsis to replace the words ommitted at the end of a sentence(not in the middle), how should it be written?
    eg. You will fall in love with here for its bar, gym, chess room, tea room ... .
    Should it goes like this "space+dot+dot+dot+space+period"?

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    how should it be written?
    eg. You will fall in love with here for its bar, gym, chess room, tea room ... .
    Should it goes like this "space+dot+dot+dot+space+period"?
    I'd simply write: You will fall in love with this place for its bars, gyms, chess rooms, tea rooms...

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    But the American way of writing it is different, right?(NO OFFENCE)
    You may be right (but I personally just use 3 dots).
    By the way, due to the special structure of your example, I should have written it like this:
    You will fall in love with this place for its bars, gyms, chess rooms, tea rooms, ...

Edit: There are differences among users, you'd better Google for it and have a look.

Last edited:

SuperXW

Technically, Chinese ellipsis is not equal to English ellipsis (according to those "format books".)
    English ellipsis: ... or

Way of typing: Three dots or one ellipsis generated by software.

Chinese ellipsis (according to PRC format guidelines): …… (1. must have two parts, 6 dots. 2. will look bolder, hanging in the middle of the line in some fonts)
    Way of typing: Shift+6 in most Chinese input methods.

heatherzhu

chinese
    I am kind of confused. If you want to end a sentence( not a quotation) with an ellipsis, how should it be written?
    "I like apple,banada..." or "I like apple,banada, ..." or "I like apple,banada...."

< Previous | Next >