Pundit bullying

IaGaT

French
Hi, I am translating the following sentence from a dialogue :

"These people feel sidelined by the American dream. So they resort to xenophobia and the bigotry which the right stokes with pundit bullying, which is why we're in this situation."

My try : "Ils se sentent mis à l'écart du rêve américain donc ils ont recours à la xénophobie et au sectarisme/à l'intolérance, que les bons attisent par leur harcèlement. C'est pourquoi on est dans cette situation."

I understand that "pundit bullying" is a way of making that bullying public, a sort of "hostilité générale" or "critique/harcèlement général" but I am not sure.
Also, I have a doubt about what "the right" refers to but my guess is that it is the common opinion or the opinion of those who are educated, as "these people" refer to "people who can't afford to go to college" in this dialogue.

Thanks !

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    This is a new and very rare expression. It refers to the influence apparently wielded by pundits (in this case influential newspaper editors) over a judge. I suggest something like: "donc ils ont recours à la xénophobie et au sectarisme/à l'intolérance, que les faiseurs d'opinion de droite attisent par leur harcèlement".

Kelly B

USA English
    Welcome LaGaT,

I find the sentence structure a little strange - pundit bullying ought to mean bullying of pundits, but that doesn't make sense. It means bullying by pundits, and it isn't clear to me who their direct targets are. Leur but principal est, comme tu dis, d'attiser la xénophobie etc. chez ces gens mécontents, mais cet harcelement devrait avoir aussi un cible direct (un bouc émissaire en quelque sorte, peut-être).

I doubt the pundits in question are primarily newspaper editors (unless Keith Bradford found the source document...?) - I think the most influential right-wing pundits in the US are commentators on TV/radio/internet.

(And the right refers to the right wing - see the dictionary entry and related threads. "These people" are often among them, they're just not pundits.)

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I doubt the pundits in question are primarily newspaper editors (unless Keith Bradford found the source document...?)...
    Well, some kind of source document:

"To the extent that the justices (a) read the newspapers and (b) care what the newspapers say, it’s reasonable to believe that opinion writers are trying to nudge Roberts along, perhaps emboldened by reports that pundit-bullying contributed to his last-minute vote switch in the 2012 Obamacare appeal."

Source: Dear John Letters | Constitutional Accountability Center

IaGaT

French
    Thanks, Keith and Kelly, that's really helpfull.
    I saw this article too, which made me think of "hostilité/critique générale" in the first time but "faiseurs d'opinions" seems definitely better.

Best regards,
    IaGat

Kelly B

USA English
    Well, some kind of source document:
    Ah, ok, same phrase, but a different example. LaGaT's is unlikely to relate specifically to the judiciary, I think. In that instance Justice Roberts was a direct target; here I don't think that's the case, because the xenophobic disaffected and right-wing pundits are likely to be on the same side, at least superficially.

archijacq

french France
    ce que je comprends - il y a plusieurs nuances possibles, mais dans ce que vous dites du contexte, "élites" pourrait mieux convenir:
    …que la droite [populiste] attise en prenant comme têtes de Turcs les idéologues/élites/experts/technocrates

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >