punditry?

< Previous | Next >

ddubug

Korean
Hi,
I need help.

<I like Dr. Campolo calls me 'Brother'. If I were in the punditry business, I'd guess that Campolo and his movement will keep gaining steam.>

pundit=expert

what is punditry??

I=author / Campolo=Red Letter Christian

[mod. note: edited to contain only one question]

• JamesM

The punditry business would be the business of being a pundit, just as carpentry is the business of being a carpenter.

One question per thread, please. This forum is an adjunct to the dictionary. It is important to separate questions into individual threads.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Punditry" is the term often applied to the product of the host of "experts" (self-styled and otherwise) who offer opinions , particularly on politics in the news media during the pre-election period in the United States.

The writer is creating a word based on other examples:

jewel > jewelry
    cook > cookery
    bandit > banditry
    knight errant > knight errantry

Clearly, by "punditry" he means "the things pundits do; the common activities, practices, and concerns of pundits."

GreenWhiteBlue assumes that punditry is a neologism; but the Oxford English Dictionary gives examples of its use from 1926.
    I am not assuming that it is a neologism. I think it likely, though, that the writer may not have known or cared that the word had been in use for that long, and indeed may never have heard it before. The formation of the noun in this way (based upon such models "banditry" and "carpentry") seems obvious. Certainly, I regularly put prefixes or suffixes on words to make other words that I have never seen or heard used before, but which I would not be the least surprised to learn were existing forms.

Lexiphile

England English
    Putting the bandits and carpenters to one side for a moment, I would take exception to your assumed definition of pundit. A pundit may well be an expert, but more often than not, he is a self-styled expert, otherwise known as an "armchair" expert (because he sits in his armchair and pontificates about matters of which he is largely ignorant).

This meaning of pundit is, in fact, suggested by your sentence, since a real expert would be unlikely to have to guess. I would interpret the conditional clause as meaning "if I were inclined to make guesses about such things while sitting in my armchair,...."

And by the way, I can make no sense of your first sentence: "I like Dr. Campolo calls me 'Brother'." What does "I like" have to do with anything?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I believe that this is from "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible" by A.J. Jacobs, an American author. (Ddubug will correct me if I am mistaken.)

I agree with Lexiphile's suggestion that "punditry" has an ironic tinge: "If I were the sort of person who pretends to know things he doesn't know ..... "

(It seems likely that there was an error in the transcription and that the original was: "I like it that Dr. Compolo calls me Brother".)

< Previous | Next >