Punjabi: نا کر دھییا کھیڈ / ਨਾ ਕਰ ਧੀਆ ਖੇਡ

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

The phrase in the title belongs to a verse in the song "Alif Allah Chambe di Booti" or "Jugni Ji".
It is in a section that admonishes young girls, regarding how ephemeral beauty and youth are.

نا کر دھییا کھیڈ پیاریਓ, ਨਾ ਕਰ ਧੀਆ ਖੇਡ, ਪਿਆਰੀO, daughter, don't revel in fun and play
ماں دیندی آ گالڑیاںਮਾਂ ਦਿੰਦੀ ਏ ਗਾਲੜੀਆਂMother gives advice

The Gurmukhi rendition is mine, (therefore prone to error). The Shahmukhi text and translation are copied from the captions given by Coke Studio for this song.

My question is: what exactly is ਧੀਆ / دھییا in the sentence above?
An imperative for dhiaauNaa = remember, repeat?
In which case the translation would be "Hey, dear girl, remember not to do pastimes" or something like that?

Thanks in advance.

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Pnj. daughter - دھی /t_hìì/.

دھییا /t_hììyaa/ 'oh daughter' - vocative singular.
    ----------------------

Q: Regarding the differences between the original Western Punjabi and Gurmukhi: is there 'o' or isn't there any at the beginning? What about the commas :) there are commas here but not there.
    Then, should it be آ or ਏ? Just asking.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    Oh!
    dhīā + piārī = dear daughter
    Thanks, @marrish !

Q: Regarding the differences between the original Western Punjabi and Gurmukhi: is there 'o' or isn't there any at the beginning?
    The singer does say something that sounds like "o" at the beginning of the sentence, but it is not in the song's caption. Because some "O, daughter ..." is provided in the translation, I believe it is ਓ, but I neglected to add it in Shahmukhi.

The commas are also from me only, based on my interpretation. The Shahmukhi text is verbatim from Coke Studio.

Then, should it be آ or ਏ? Just asking.
    I suck ... :(
    Should be ਆ

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    :D :p
    Verbatim looks better! And why does it say ਦਿੰਦੀ?

Re. گالڑیاں, are you aware of the plural, aren't you?

پیاری - lovely, not only 'dear'.