Punjabi: ਸਿਹਰਾ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (sihrā jāndā hai)

skeletonleaves

English - United States
Hello,

I’m trying to translate an article on Mohammed Reza Pahlavi (former shah of Iran) from Punjabi to English. I came accross the following sentence:

ਇਸ ਬਾਦਸ਼ਾਹ ਨੂੰ ਈਰਾਨ 'ਚ ਆਧੁਨਿਕਤਾ ਦਾ ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ਫੈਲਾਉਣ ਦਾ ਸਿਹਰਾ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।

Is bādṣāh nũũ Īrān 'c ādhuniktā dā prabhāv phailāuṇ dā sihrā jāndā hai.

I think the general meaning is more or less: “This monarch is credited with spreading the influence of modernity in Iran.” What is confusing me is the construct at the end, ਸਿਹਰਾ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (sihrā jāndā hai).

I know ਜਾਣਾ (jāṇā) means “go” but here it seems to be used in one of its idiomatic meanings, either marking a passive voice or stressing the total completion of the verb. But from what I know, ਸਿਹਰਾ (sihrā) is a noun, not a verb. I can’t find any evidence of a verb ਸਿਹਰਾਉਣਾ (sihrāuṇā) online, so it doesn’t seem to be a verb root.

Since passive-marking ਜਾਣਾ (jāṇā) would follow a verb participle, and completion-marking ਜਾਣਾ (jāṇā) would follow a verb root, why are there no such verbs here before ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (jāndā hai)? I would expect something like ਸਿਹਰਾ ਹੋਇਆ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (sihrā hoiā jāndā hai) or ਸਿਹਰਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ (sihrā ho jāndā hai). Can anyone break down the grammar for this part of the sentence? Thank you!

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I assume that you know what a "sihraa" is? It can be described as a "wreath" worn on the head of the bridegroom during the marriage ceremony.

So, your Punjabi sentence (which has a couple of words from Hindi/Sanskrit...ਆਧੁਨਿਕਤਾ and ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ) could be re-written as follows.

Is bādṣāh de sir (u)te [Īrān 'c ādhuniktā dā prabhāv phailāuṇ dā] sihrā jāndā hai.

Upon the head of this king goes the wreath [for the spread of the influence of modernity in Iran]

goes the wreath = goes the credit

de sir (u)te is understood and is replaced with "nuuN", resulting in "bādṣāh nuuN jaaNda e", i.e (the credit) goes to the king.

I hope this makes the sentence clear.

skeletonleaves

English - United States
    I assume that you know what a "sihraa" is? It can be described as a "wreath" worn on the head of the bridegroom during the marriage ceremony.

So, your Punjabi sentence (which has a couple of words from Hindi/Sanskrit...ਆਧੁਨਿਕਤਾ and ਪ੍ਰਭਾਵ ) could be re-written as follows.

Is bādṣāh de sir (u)te [Īrān 'c ādhuniktā dā prabhāv phailāuṇ dā] sihrā jāndā hai.

Upon the head of this king goes the wreath [for the spread of the influence of modernity in Iran]

goes the wreath = goes the credit

de sir (u)te is understood and is replaced with "nuuN", resulting in "bādṣāh nuuN jaaNda e", i.e (the credit) goes to the king.

I hope this makes the sentence clear.

Wow, thank you Qureshpor! This makes complete sense now. I was seeing in my dictionary that sihrā could also mean “wreath” but the idiomatic usage here wasn’t obvious to me. So in this case jāṇā is in fact the verb “go” and not a marker of passivity or completion. Thank you again!