Punjabi: Camel

panjabigator

Am. English
Greetings,

I'm not sure if this is just a Malwai Punjabi word, but I tend to hear ਬੋਤਾ for camel rather than ਊਠ. Do other speakers use this word? Is it used in Western Punjabi at all?

Best wishes,
Panjabigator

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Greetings,

I'm not sure if this is just a Malwai Punjabi word, but I tend to hear ਬੋਤਾ for camel rather than ਊਠ. Do other speakers use this word? Is it used in Western Punjabi at all?

Best wishes,
    Panjabigator

Would you be so kind to include the transliteration please? Thank you.

hindiurdu

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    I have never heard 'bota' before - thanks for sharing! I have heard some (older) people say 'daachi' though.

Interesting side note: one time I heard a relative describe the difference between Kashmiris and Punjabis as 'daach (grape) te daachi (camel) da faraq' (though I think it's actually Daachi, not daachi). Okay, maybe that wasn't that so interesting.

Last edited:

panjabigator

Am. English
    I thought that a "ḍāchī" is a "ūṭṭhnī" that has been decked out with bells and ornamentation. I've only heard this word in the Punjabi song "ḍāchī wāliyā moR muhār ve."

hindiurdu

I thought that a "ḍāchī" is a "ūṭṭhnī" that has been decked out with bells and ornamentation. I've only heard this word in the Punjabi song "ḍāchī wāliyā moR muhār ve."

Sorry, I tweaked my post a bit and we crossed. Really? I didn't know that. I am pretty sure they (the ones I cite, I mean) use it generically for camel. I never use this word and I don't think I've heard anyone young use it either (at least I cannot remember).

panjabigator

Am. English
    I'm probably imbuing the word "ḍāchī" with the qualities described in the song. "terī dāchiyāN diyāN ṭalliyāN, ve maiN pīr manāvaṇ challī āN."

Isn't the word for grape "داخ"?

Edit: we keep posting at the same time! AH, a Balochi book! How did you know I wanted a Balochi book!?

Alfaaz

English
    Some extra information on camel in Punjabi here:
    English
    camel
    Punjabi
    n. utt. M; utth.m; utthni . F dachi fa; sannhani . F;
    1. A young camel botta. M; today. M;
    2. A camel up to five years of age doak. M;
    3. A camel driver. Sarwan. M;
    4. A camel's guiding rope nakel f;
    5. A cakel's saddle kachawa. M;

English
    camel
    Punjabi
    اُوٹھ

Last edited:

hindiurdu

Isn't the word for grape "داخ"?

It is "daach" in Kashmiri. There was an obsolete word "داکھ" that I think came from Sanskrit द्राक्ष (draaksh). Yet another old Indo-Aryan holdout dead everywhere except in Dardic :) And Nepali too apparently (http://books.google.com/books?id=M_rD4BQ7yQ0C&pg=PA109 - "Daakh ko Achaar" / Raisin Pickle).

Edit: we keep posting at the same time! AH, a Balochi book! How did you know I wanted a Balochi book!?

Kaash kuchh aur maangaa hotaa! :)

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    [...] Isn't the word for grape "داخ"?[...]

It is "daach" in Kashmiri. There was an obsolete word "داکھ" that I think came from Sanskrit द्राक्ष (draaksh). Yet another old Indo-Aryan holdout dead everywhere except in Dardic :) And Nepali too apparently (http://books.google.com/books?id=M_rD4BQ7yQ0C&pg=PA109 - "Daakh ko Achaar" / Raisin Pickle).[...]

daakh has been the fruitful subject of this thread which answers these questions to a certain extent. As you can see, this word is used in an Urdu poem and it is not written as daax.