Punjabi, Hindi: Madhorama Pencha

Kahaani

Hi all,

I recently saw the movie monsoon wedding and I thought the family was Punjabi so I just assumed the folk song they were singing was Punjabi too. However, after examining the lyrics (the part that I could understand at least) I did have my doubts. Maybe you could help me out.

...ni gore gore hatha vich rach di chandi
Madhorama pencha ve ho kedi kariye
shava vera kedi kariye...

this part seems like Punjabi to me

...Isko le chalenge
humko yahi pasand hai...

This seems like perfectly normal Hindi to me. Could anyone help me out? Is this simply a mix between Punjabi and Hindi?

Thank you,

• souminwé

North American English, Hindi
    It is Hindi! I think this line is illuminating as to why there's Hindi mixed into the song:

isko chhoR caleNge
    ham to baabuu log haiN

This character in the mehndi song is from a city from what I can tell and considers themselves quite posh. I took it as Hindi being used to characterise them as "urbane" or maybe even pompous.

But someone else shoulds probs confirm

EDIT: also not that uncommon for Hindi/Urdu to make its way into Punjabi lyrics, depending on the desired effect

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I don't understand the line in which the thread title words occur: Madhorama pencha ve ho kedi kariye. Is it possible to write it in Devanagari or Gurmukhi or some better form of Romanization please?

mundiya

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    souminwe jii, if the intention was to characterise the characters as "urbane" or "pompous", then the use of English would've been the more logical choice since English is the preferred language of the elite and upper classes of Indian society.

I haven't seen this movie but it is apparently set in New Delhi, where both Hindi and Punjabi are commonly spoken. In addition, the movie is Bollywood inspired, and it is a common tactic in Bollywood to mix Hindi and Punjabi due to the international success of Punjabi bhangra music.

Kahaani

I don't know the exact words and I can't guess them either as I don't speak Punjabi, sorry!

So, we have a view different views here. One is that the usage of Hindi in the song has a meaning in regards to the context of the song and that it denotes a somewhat higher register/poshness. It could also have a certain effect.

And another one that the song was written specifically for the needs of the Bollywood industry/adapted for those needs.

Does anyone else have anything to add/different views?

Thanks for all the answers thusfar!

mundiya

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    And another one that the song was written specifically for the needs of the Bollywood industry/adapted for those needs.

Not just the influence of Bollywood. You also have to consider the setting as I mentioned above.