Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu: ardaas

desi4life

English
Ardaas is a common word used by Sikhs for their prayers. Is ardaas still used in any of the other meanings mentioned below by Platts? And is ardaas now believed to be most likely derived from the Persian 'arz-daasht "petition, request" (with 'arz being of Arabic origin), or is it instead connected to Sanskrit ardanaa "request" (verbal root ard- "to ask, to request")?

H ارداس अरदास ardās [S. अर्दना+आशम्; but cf. with عرض داشت, of which it is prob. a corr.], s.f. Representation, petition, request, entreaty; supplication; offering (to a deity):—ardās karnā, v.t. To petition, solicit, request, entreat, beseech; to worship; to pray.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I have not heard this word used in the Punjabi that I speak. Nor have I heard it in Urdu speech. In Urdu writing, after searching for this word today, I found the following article.

http://www.humsub.com.pk/81777/pawan-singh-arora-2/

McGregor seems to suggest that it is Avestan (I believe this is what "Av" stands for)

अरदास ardās, f. Av. 1. petition, request; entreaty. 2. offering to a deity.

Here is the entry from a Punjabi dictionary. Unfortunately, it does not provide any etymology for the word.

Punjabi(Gurmukhi,Shahmukhi) to English Dictionary:: RCPLT Punjabi University, Patiala

Wikipedia suggests its derivation from عرض داشت.

ارداس - وکیپیڈیا

So, in summary, I am afraid I don't think your questions have been answered completely.

desi4life

English
    I have not heard this word used in the Punjabi that I speak. Nor have I heard it in Urdu speech. In Urdu writing, after searching for this word today, I found the following article.

http://www.humsub.com.pk/81777/pawan-singh-arora-2/

McGregor seems to suggest that it is Avestan (I believe this is what "Av" stands for)

अरदास ardās, f. Av. 1. petition, request; entreaty. 2. offering to a deity.

Here is the entry from a Punjabi dictionary. Unfortunately, it does not provide any etymology for the word.

Punjabi(Gurmukhi,Shahmukhi) to English Dictionary:: RCPLT Punjabi University, Patiala

Wikipedia suggests its derivation from عرض داشت.

ارداس - وکیپیڈیا

So, in summary, I am afraid I don't think your questions have been answered completely.

Thanks for your input and the links. In McGregor, "Av" stands for Avadhi. Ardaas was used in the Sufi-inspired poetry of the famous Avadhi writer Malik Muhammad Jayasi (16th century).