Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu: He drinks - He is drinking

Pvitr

Panjabi
Which of the following is correct?
If neither is correct could someone suggest a corrected version?
Is one more Panjabi and the other Hindi/Urdu influenced?
Again apologies for any inaccuracies in transliteration. Dhanwaad.

A. Oh paanii piindaa hai. -- Is this the more correct Panjabi sentence?
He is drinking water
B. Oh paanii pii rehaa hai. -- Is this Hindu/Urdu influenced?
He is drinking water

• amiramir

English-USA
    I don't think it's a question of Hindi/Urdu influence. The progressive aspect is as much a part of Punjabi as Hindi-Urdu.

A. is simply 'he drinks water'
    B. is 'he is drink water.'

Also note: at least in my variety of heritage Punjabi, the verb would be spelled -- pii rihaa (pronounced riyaa, often) hai. (Rehaa would be Hindi/Urdu to my ears).

But of course await a native.

littlepond

Hindi
    B. Oh paanii pii rehaa hai. -- Is this Hindu/Urdu influenced?
    He is drinking water

In standard-ish Hindi: woh paanii pii rahaa hai.

In western UP dialects, in familial settings, "rahaa" could change to "riyaa", "ryaa", etc.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    I don't think it's a question of Hindi/Urdu influence. The progressive aspect is as much a part of Punjabi as Hindi-Urdu.

A. is simply 'he drinks water'
    B. is 'he is drink water.' Do you mean 'drinking'?

Also note: at least in my variety of heritage Punjabi, the verb would be spelled -- pii rihaa (pronounced riyaa, often) hai. (Rehaa would be Hindi/Urdu to my ears).

But of course await a native.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Thanks. Amiramir
    So they are both acceptable? And B is the 'progressive aspect'? Did I understand correctly?

Littlepond- so from your example I can see B is clearly not Hindi/urdu.

Alfaaz

English
    Pvitr said:
    Which of the following is correct?
    As already mentioned by amiramir, both are correct and represent different ideas:

Oh paaNRii/paanii piindaa (h)ae.

• He drinks water.
      • woh paanii piitaa hai.
    Oh paaNRii/paanii pii reyaa (h)ae.
    • He is drinking water.
      • woh paanii pii rahaa hai.

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Littlepond, that's interesting...would it not be the same as Alfaaz's e.g. where the verb also changes?

littlepond

Hindi
    I don't think I am getting you, Pvitr jii. Both of the examples given by Alfaaz jii for Hindi are fine. The verb will of course change its form/conjugation depending on the sense. There is no need to change the verb itself, unless you want to say something else or with a different nuance/strength: the verb remains "piinaa" (to drink).

amiramir

English-USA
    Thanks. Amiramir
    So they are both acceptable? And B is the 'progressive aspect'? Did I understand correctly?

Littlepond- so from your example I can see B is clearly not Hindi/urdu.

Sorry, I of course meant to type -- "is drinkING"

They are of course both acceptable-- depending on what you want to say 'he drinks' or 'he is drinking' -- with the exception that 'rehaa' should probably be riyaa (written rihaa, I think)

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Of course one needs to take into account the context of the utterance.

He is drinking water.

O paaNRii pii riyaa e.

This is the not the only way this is expressed in Punjabi.

ii) O paaNRii piiNR lagiyaa e (Urdu equivalent: vuh paanii piine meN lagaa hu'aa hai = vuh paanii pii rahaa hai)

iii) O paaNRii piiNR Diyaa e (Same meaning as above but I am not certain of the meaning of the verb for the past participle "Diyaa". Perhaps it is equivalent to "giraa".

iv) O paaNRii piiNdaa piyaa e/O paaNRii piiNdaa e piyaa (Urdu equivalent: vuh paanii piine meN paRaa hu'aa hai = vuh paanii pii rahaa hai)