Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu: parosNRaa/parosnaa

marrish

اُردو Urdu
In this previous thread, the word parosNRaa - to lay (food on table) was mentioned. I have heard this word from a speaker with an Indian background and I remember it because I hadn't used this word ever before, this being the reason for my enquiry. Is it a frequently used word or is it specific in any ways? How about its occurence in Punjabi?

Your views are as ever, very much appreciated.

• Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In this previous thread, the word parosNRaa - to lay (food on table) was mentioned. I have heard this word from a speaker with an Indian background and I remember it because I hadn't used this word ever before, this being the reason for my enquiry. Is it a frequently used word or is it specific in any ways? How about its occurence in Punjabi?Your views are as ever, very much appreciated.

In my experience "parosnaa" is not part of Punjabi and although the word is found in Urdu dictionaries, I have not heard it spoken or seen it written in the Urdu backdrop. The place where it is served in abundance is on Indian soaps and cookery programmes.

greatbear

Banned
    India - Hindi & English
    I cannot find the word in your cited thread, marrish, but anyway, to answer your question, "parosnaa" is a very commonly used word in Hindi: "khaanaa parosnaa" = "khaanaa lagaanaa" = to serve food. I have never heard of a "parosNRaa"!

Alfaaz

English
    greatbear said:
    --- "parosnaa" is a very commonly used word in Hindi: "khaanaa parosnaa" = "khaanaa lagaanaa" = to serve food. ---
    Had a question about parosnaa: does it mean...............to place food before guests/set the table or buffet...........to actually distribute/serve/dish out/plate the food for the guests by yourselves.........or can it mean both?

Reasons for asking:
    Often in restaurants serving a Gujraati thaali, the people say that they "paros" the food themselves...meaning don't allow customers to "help themselves".
    Example Scenario: A couple of Hindi speakers ask: "hum khaana paros deN?". A few Urdu speakers think this means "hum khaana laga deN/dastar khaan saja deN/taiyyaar kar deN?" , so say "Ji haaN, zaruur". Few minutes later, the Hindi speaking hosts actually come with food dished out ready to eat in plates! "yeh leN ji, bhojan/khaana paros diya!" The slightly embarrassed guests say, "Are, Sorry! Is takalluf ki kyaa zaruurat thi...aap sirf khaana laga dete to hum xud hi khaana le/Daal lete."

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I cannot find the word in your cited thread, marrish, but anyway, to answer your question, "parosnaa" is a very commonly used word in Hindi: "khaanaa parosnaa" = "khaanaa lagaanaa" = to serve food. I have never heard of a "parosNRaa"!
    It is there in post #13 but in Punjabi (gurmukhi & shahmukhi). The retroflex NR is there only in the Punjabi word (and this only if the word is used!!!).

JaiHind

India - Hindi
    ..the word parosNRaa - to lay (food on table)... Is it a frequently used word or is it specific in any ways?

Yes dear, it is a very common word in Hindi as well as in many regional languages in India with slight variations and is used everywhere... If you say, "khana parosna" खाना परोसना, it will be understood as "to serve food" by one and all...

greatbear

Banned
    India - Hindi & English
    Had a question about parosnaa: does it mean...............to place food before guests/set the table or buffet...........to actually distribute/serve/dish out/plate the food for the guests by yourselves.........or can it mean both?

It can mean both, Alfaaz, just as "khaanaa lagaa denaa" also could mean both, at least for me. Only "dastarkhaan sajaa denaa" is specific, meaning setting the buffet.

hindiurdu

Hindi-Urdu, Punjabi, Kashmiri
    The more I thought about it, the more this seemed to be a very curious word to me. It is very specific in nature and applies only to serving food (and nothing else - not even beverages, as far as I can tell). I looked into its etymology - from Sanskrit परिवेषण pariveṣhaṇ, which apparently means "attendance or service (veṣhaṇa) that surrounds (pari)". The pari is related to the Greek peri (of perimeter/periphery fame), but I cannot find any cognates for veṣhaṇa. I know that ṣ seems related to x, so was looking for something in that area but drew a blank.

fdb sahab, you seem to be very knowledgeable about these things. Do you know of anything here?

greatbear

Banned
    India - Hindi & English
    While I think the English word vassal's lineage has been different and not a cognate, it is however a curious word sounding close to veshana and with a meaning not that far.