English
hi,

wondering if anyone could provide a translation of the phrase

jo mille na tasalli aap ne aap
so mille na virodh karna

thank you

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    It's something about getting satisfaction and opposition or resistance, unless you can provide more context to it, I'm afraid I can't figure out anything more because it doesn't seem to be written correctly.

firefrorefiddle

English
    It's something about getting satisfaction and opposition or resistance, unless you can provide more context to it, I'm afraid I can't figure out anything more because it doesn't seem to be written correctly.

thank you for the reply. that’s what i thought too. i might have misheard it. it’s from a song called “counteraction” by a band called cornershop if you would like to give it a listen :)

firefrorefiddle

English
    I really cant at the moment. Are you sure it's in Punjabi though?

that’s okay. it’s not very important, just want to know what they’re saying since i’ve liked the song for a long time. it’s almost definitely punjabi. they have others in punjabi also. and i know a (very little) bit of the language myself :)

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Yes, you are right, definitely it's Punjabi. Also you have written it correctly.

In this case 'tasallii' means, as I said before, 'satisfaction', but 'virodh' or rather 'virodh karna' could be the 'counteraction' from the song's title.

It is the unusual sense and usage of 'virodh karnaa' which took me off.

jo=if/when/on the one hand...
    mile na=isn't obtained/found/gotten
    aapN(R)e aap=on it's own

so=then/in the same manner/on the other hand...
    mile na=(let's hope that) is not met
    virodh karnaa="counteraction".

Are you able to think of a translation now?

firefrorefiddle

English
    Yes, you are right, definitely it's Punjabi. Also you have written it correctly.

In this case 'tasallii' means, as I said before, 'satisfaction', but 'virodh' or rather 'virodh karna' could be the 'counteraction' from the song's title.

It is the unusual sense and usage of 'virodh karnaa' which took me off.

jo=if/when/on the one hand...
    mile na=isn't obtained/found/gotten
    aapN(R)e aap=on it's own

so=then/in the same manner/on the other hand...
    mile na=(let's hope that) is not met
    virodh karnaa="counteraction".

Are you able to think of a translation now?

thank you for taking the time to listen & translate. it was the “mille na virodh karna” that confused me most as well, but your suggestion that it’s “let’s hope that a counteraction is not met” does make sense. now i’d guess that they’re trying to say “since satisfaction isn’t found on its own, let’s hope a counteraction isn’t found with it”. although i could be wrong haha. thanks for your help :)

Jashn

Canadian English
    Isn't the problem that 'virodh karna' is an infinitive verb where one might expect a noun?

Also, doesn't 'virodh karna' normally translate to 'to oppose'?

If it were a noun, say, 'opposition', it might make more sense, wouldn't it?

'If satisfaction is not met with, then may we not find opposition, either'.

That was what I thought they were trying to get at, but I'm no expert...

firefrorefiddle

English
    Isn't the problem that 'virodh karna' is an infinitive verb where one might expect a noun?

Also, doesn't 'virodh karna' normally translate to 'to oppose'?

If it were a noun, say, 'opposition', it might make more sense, wouldn't it?

'If satisfaction is not met with, then may we not find opposition, either'.

That was what I thought they were trying to get at, but I'm no expert...

yes that was the confusing part. it sounded unusual to me. your interpretation does make sense also, thank you :)