Punjabi: to cut

panjabigator

Am. English
Good evening,

Curiosity about the words ਕੱਪਣਾ and ਵੱਢਣਾ। Are they completely synonymous with ਕੱਟਣਾ? Instances where you'd use one and not the other?

Many thanks,
PG

• marrish

اُردو Urdu
    Good morning from the other side!

I haven't heard kappNRaa so it might serve as a circumstantial evidence that it is not widely used or locally used/ or not.

vaDD_hNRaa is a different sense altogether! sipaa'ii dii latt vaDDh dittii ga'ii e. = amputated = taken away. kal gaNDe kaTTdiyaaN uNgal kaTT ga'ii = cut but not amputated!

Still I can think of one where both convene: halke kutte ne vaDDhiyaa/kaTiyaa? =bitten.

Caveat, I'm responding because I'm awake so you must count on help of persons who know better Punjabi than I, but you can still take it as a circumstantial evidence in the best case.

panjabigator

Am. English
    Thanks Marrish ji!

I saw ਕੱਪਣਾ in Punjabi poetry, though I disremember the poet. How unhelpful of me!

How about this: fasal kattii/vaDD-hii jaandii ai. Which do you prefer?

halke kutte ne vaDDhiyaa/kaTiyaa? =bitten.
    I didn't know this usage of "vadd_hNRaa." Thank you!

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    In my part of the world ਕੱਪਣਾ is the norm but in my maternal side of the family bothਕੱਪਣਾ and ਵੱਢਣਾ are used.

It is not easy for me to provide the definitive subtle differences between the two.

ohnaaN ne jadoN kaNRak kappii/vaDDiii............When they cut/harvested the wheat........... I would be happy with both.

zaalimaaN ne Bashiire nuuN vaDh chhaDDiya e.... This cruel lot have cut up/killed/murdered Bashiir (aa)

So, the latter verb has a more of a violent turn to it.

marrish

اُردو Urdu
    I have just checked this with my guest from Lahore and he confirmed what I said. He was just as unaware of kappNRaa as I was. This Punjabi language allows for so great plurality.

fasal kaTTii jaaNdii e te vaa'e jaaNdii e.

Alongwith my "kuttaa" the example of Bashiiraa is also perfect in this manner of speech.