Punjabi, Urdabi: Chambaa

Sheikh_14

English- United Kingdom, Urdu, Punjabi
Dear Foreros,

I would like to know what "chambaa" in a famed ruxsaatii song which starts off with "saDaa chiRiiyaaN daa chambaa" stands for? For some reason there are contradictory translations online, I felt chambaa means a flock of birds, in this case sparrows but some online sources state that chambaa represents a nest. What is the actual meaning of chambaa?

Best Regards,
Sheikh

• mundiya

Hindi, English, Punjabi
    It means flock or gathering. Another meaning is the flower we call "champaa" in Hindi-Urdu. The etymologies are clearly different, but I'm not sure what the etymology is for the first meaning.

Sheikh_14

Makes sense and very much in line with my inkling. Is it just used for a flock of birds or a collective of any animal/thing?

Sheikh_14

Its possible , though mundiya her has suggested it is also used for the flower champaa. Himachal Pradesh is an province known for its scenic and mighty greenery so perhaps it has something to do with the flower. I haven't a clue but if anyone here is aware I hope they do answer your brief question. Coming back to mine, is chambaa used solely for a flock of birds or can it be used for a gathering of things and animals alike?

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    ساڈھا چڑیاں دا چنبا وے
    بابل اساں اُڈ جانڑاں
    ساڈھی لمی اُڈاری وے
    تے مُڑ اساں نئیں آنڑاں

I would incline towards "nest".

ساڈھا چڑیاں دا چنبا وے Our x is a sparrows' chanbaa

If we put "house" for x, and "nest" for chanbaa, it makes sense. However, if the meaning is "flock", then the opening line ought to be:

اسیں چڑیاں دا چمبا واں/ہاں We are a sparrows' flock.

saaDhaa chiRyaaN daa chanbaa ve
    baabul asaaN uD jaaNRaaN
    saaDhii lammii uDaarii ve
    te muR asaaN na'iiN aaNRaaN

Our (house) is a sparrow's nest
    Father we are going to fly away
    Our flight will be a very long one
    We shall not be returning again

usmansharifgujjar

Punjabi,Urdu
    Actually Punjabi is a non-regulated language, its accents and terminology differ from region to region...
    Like in some folk script/poetry people have used "Menda" for "Mera" meaning my/mine, I am from the very same district where Sikhi started (Shakargarh) and it's almost the center of Punjabi speaking regions and like Both Punjab and Kashmir (yes not all but Kashmiris and Punjabi like languages such as Gojri, etc. speak Punjabi).
    So, Chamba in "Alif Allah Chambe Di Booti" is just an easy word for "Chambeli" which is a common flower (Jasmin) in Punjab, still, my grandfather uses the work Chamba instead of Chambeli, he's around 100 years old alhamdulillah.
    And Chamba in "saDaa chiRiiyaaN daa chambaa" is "a group of poor men (faqeer)".

Last edited by a moderator:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Actually Punjabi is a non-regulated language, its accents and terminology differ from region to region...
    Like in some folk script/poetry people have used "Menda" for "Mera" meaning my/mine, I am from the very same district where Sikhi started (Shakargarh) and it's almost the center of Punjabi speaking regions and like Both Punjab and Kashmir (yes not all but Kashmiris and Punjabi like languages such as Gojri, etc. speak Punjabi).
    So, Chamba in "Alif Allah Chambe Di Booti" is just an easy word for "Chambeli" which is a common flower (Jasmin) in Punjab, still, my grandfather uses the work Chamba instead of Chambeli, he's around 100 years old alhamdulillah.
    And Chamba in "saDaa chiRiiyaaN daa chambaa" is "a group of poor men (faqeer)".
    Salaam Usman and welcome to the forum. So, how does the meaning you have provided for “chambaa” connect with the song?

usmansharifgujjar

Punjabi,Urdu
    Salaam Usman and welcome to the forum. So, how does the meaning you have provided for “chambaa” connect with the song?
    sorry I forgot to add a reference link.
    here you will find the different meaning of the word "Chamba" چمبا, چنبا, چمبھا,ਚਮਬਾ,chaNba,ਚੰਬਾ ,chamba,chambha,chanba,, Meaning in,Punjabi to Urdu,Punjabi to English Dictionary,,لغت پنجابیPunjabi,Shahmukhi,شاہ مکھی

as per the meaning of Chamba in "saDaa chiRiiyaaN daa chambaa" is a group/heard of sparrows who go field by field and find food for themself.