Punjabi, Urdu: باؤجی

iskander e azam

English
Friends,

The current book I am reading is in Urdu but written by a Punjabi.

Hence, there are many terms in it that are not mainstream Urdu but would make sense to a Punjabi speaker/Urdu speaker from Pakistan.

One such is the term باؤجی which the author uses at the beginning of sentences when he is talking to others (and quoting the conversation in the book). It is used in exactly the same way as جناب or حضور.

Can anyone throw any light on its derivation and meaning?

Much obliged,

Alex

• Alfaaz

English
    The word is similar to the following:
    H بابو बाबू bābū [S. वप्रा or वप्र+उक; cf. bābā], s.m. Prince, noble, man of family or distinction; a title of respect (as) Sir, Mr., Esqre.; young master; father; a term of endearment applied to children;—a clerk or writer in an office.

Examples from Punjabi and Urdu lyrics, respectively:

سانوں/سہانوں وی لے چل نال وے باؤ سوہنی/سونڑی گڈّی والیا

فلم: چن پتر

گاڑی کو چلانا بابو ذرا ہلکے ہلکے ہلکے
    کہیں دل کا جام نہ چھلکے
    دل کا جام کہیں نہ چھلکے
    گاڑی کو چلانا بابو

فلم: انوکھی

iskander e azam

English
    Alfaaz SaaHIb,

Thanks for this but I am interested in how بابو becomes باؤجی. If indeed it is the word بابو transmogrified.

Best wishes,

Alex

eskandar

English (US)
    It's not a derivation of بابو - I don't know much Punjabi but if I'm not mistaken باؤجی means 'father' in Punjabi and can also be a respectful term of address for an old man.

Abu Talha

Urdu
    It's not a derivation of بابو - I don't know much Punjabi but if I'm not mistaken باؤجی means 'father' in Punjabi and can also be a respectful term of address for an old man.
    Hmm.. I not sure. I've actually heard it more by an older person respectfully addressing a younger one. Like "young sir". But I can't say that is the definitive meaning.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Friends,

The current book I am reading is in Urdu but written by a Punjabi.

Hence, there are many terms in it that are not mainstream Urdu but would make sense to a Punjabi speaker/Urdu speaker from Pakistan.

One such is the term باؤجی which the author uses at the beginning of sentences when he is talking to others (and quoting the conversation in the book). It is used in exactly the same way as جناب or حضور.

Can anyone throw any light on its derivation and meaning?

Much obliged,

Alex
    Alfaaz SaaHib has put you in the right direction. In Punjabi, it has essentially the meaning highlighted below.

H بابو बाबू bābū [S. वप्रा or वप्र+उक; cf. bābā], s.m. Prince, noble, man of family or distinction; a title of respect (as) Sir, Mr., Esqre.; young master; father; a term of endearment applied to children;—a clerk or writer in an office.

A باؤ is a young, well groomed educated man, who has an office/ clerical sort of job and is looked up to by people who are perhaps not always educated. I do believe the Punjabi word is linked to "baabuu" when used in the same sense.