Punjabi, [Urdu, Hindi]: muiiye

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
Friends,

Many otherwise Hindi/Urdu love songs (for example "Le Jaa, Le Jaa" by Ustad Sultan Khan [sample Youtube=TQR70KKYMmQ]) use the expression:
"nii muiiye, nii muiiye ..."
which obviously is a Punjabi female vocative.

It appears to be a general term of endearment towards women.
My question is:

What would its "dictionary form" be?
Does it have a male counterpart? (Rekhta mentions Meaning of mue in English | Rekhta Dictionary, which looks odd)
And, most importantly, how would one transcribe the word to Hindi/Urdu?

मुई / موئی (direct) --- मुइए / موئے (vocative) ? (I am just making this up)

Thanks in advance for any information.

• Alfaaz

English
    Qureshpor said:
    But, this does not link with "nii mo'iye!"
    Could you please explain what the meaning would be in this context? (We seemed to discuss this in Saraiki, Punjabi : moye / mo'ae.)

I was not familiar with the context presented in this thread by MonsieurGonzalito, but reading the lyrics made it seem like nii mo'iye would mean اے/ری نگوڑی/بد بخت - ae/rii nigoRii/bad-baxt (due to the lyrics suggesting what good is beauty if it doesn't "piyaa man bhaa'e").

littlepond

Hindi
    Friends,

Many otherwise Hindi/Urdu love songs (for example "Le Jaa, Le Jaa" by Ustad Sultan Khan [sample Youtube=TQR70KKYMmQ]) use the expression:
    "nii muiiye, nii muiiye ..."
    which obviously is a Punjabi female vocative.

Do not remember any such wording in any Hindi songs, unless you are misspelling something.

MonsieurGonzalito

Castellano de Argentina
    I am sorry to be a little slow to understand this.
    So, it is fair to say it is simply a Punjabi word, of endearment, and unrelated to dead/death?
    Or one has to struggle to find some sense of the lover figuratively dying?

Pvitr

Panjabi
    Panjabi (Gurmukhi):

ਮੋਈ /moii = dead (female)

moiiaa = dead (male)

Moiiei, as sung in the song reference you give, is a term of endearment, similar to marjaaniiei.

I find many Panjabi words are translated as if they have a 'y', when they are not spelt like that at all in Gurmukhi. Eg I have seen pyaar, but actual Gurmukhi spelling is pi-aa-r. A subtle difference in pronunciation.

Last edited:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Panjabi (Gurmukhi):

ਮੋਈ /moii = dead (female)

moiiaa = dead (male)

Moiiei, as sung in the song reference you give, is a term of endearment, similar to marjaaniiei.

I find many Panjabi words are translated as if they have a 'y', when they are not spelt like that at all in Gurmukhi. Eg I have seen pyaar, but actual Gurmukhi spelling is pi-aa-r. A subtle difference in pronunciation.
    As a matter of interest, how is your name spelt in Gurmukhi?