Punjabi-Urdu-Hindi: voiceless and voiced H

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
I am starting this thread as a consequence of a recent thread named "visarga pronunciation".

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2909577

I have for long been aware of a difference in the pronunciation of the Punjabi h, as in

haTT paraaN! (haT pare!)

Would I be correct in assuming that the Urdu or Hindi h is a voiceless h, like the visarga and the Punjabi h is a voiced h? I don't know how to describe the difference but Punjabi speakers in the forum might be able to see where I am coming from.

• tarkshya

Marwari
    The Hindi/Urdu word haT, (meaning move aside) is ultimately same as Punjabi haTT. So, in my opinion it should be pronounced as a voiced h. However, it is not actually done in practice. Even an accomplished singer as Rafi pronounces it as voiceless h in the song "Ae dil hai mushkil jeena yahaan, zara haT ke, zara bach ke, yeh hai Bombay meri jaan".
    I will claim that Rafi is pronunciation is actually wrong. What is the opinion of others?

Last edited by a moderator:

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    QP SaaHib, it is perhaps the matter of stress?
    Sorry about the delay in replying. No, I don't believe it is stress. When I say "haTT" in Punjabi, it certainly is quite different and "dry" compared with the Urdu "haT".

tonyspeed

English & Creole - Jamaica
    I am starting this thread as a consequence of a recent thread named "visarga pronunciation".

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2909577

I have for long been aware of a difference in the pronunciation of the Punjabi h, as in

haTT paraaN! (haT pare!)

Would I be correct in assuming that the Urdu or Hindi h is a voiceless h, like the visarga and the Punjabi h is a voiced h? I don't know how to describe the difference but Punjabi speakers in the forum might be able to see where I am coming from.

It is voiceless at the end of a syllable. i.e. kah (to say), sah (to endure),