Punjabi: Using Mainu in the place of Main

< Previous | Next >

musicgold

Tutsi
Hi,

If I used 'Mainu' in the place of 'Main' in the following sentence, would that still be correct?

Main ajē gaḍī calā'uṇī hai.

Thanks

• bakshink

punjabi
    Though here in this sentence Mainu can be used but it will sound unfamiliar to a native speaker's ear. They mean the same but can't be used interchangeably across the board. A linguistic can tell you more about this. Mainu aje gaddi chalauni nayin aundi, Mainu ajj gaddi chalani paini hai..in such sentences "Main" can't be use. Main aje tak kadi gaddi nayin chalaee- Mainu can't be used in this construction. Mainu actually stands for 'to me', 'also me, but even this justification won't suffice because Mainu Pata hai ( I know) alone is correct. You can't use "Main" here unless you say "Main eh janana haan"

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hi,

If I used 'Mainu' in the place of 'Main' in the following sentence, would that still be correct?

Thanks
    I would say only maiN is correct in this sentence as far as Punjabi is concerned.

bakshink

punjabi
    If you say Mainu in place of Main like Mainu aje gadi chalani hai- it won't be completely wrong as Qureshpor's reply suggests but it is not a very common usage of Mainu in place of Main. Main gaddi chalani hai and Mainu gaddi chalan de or Mainu gaddi chalani aundi hai..these compositions are correct.

< Previous | Next >