puntero político (castellano argentino)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Riosuzhou, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Riosuzhou Senior Member

Mexican Spanish
    Hola, veo que ya hay una sugerencia de traducción para "puntero político" en un hilo anterior (point man). Sin embargo, no estoy completamente segura de que sea la palabra correcta. ¿Alguien tendrá alguna otra sugerencia?

¿Creen que "local political broker" sea adecuada?

Se refiere a un líder barrial que trabaja para un partido y genera redes de apoyo político y electoral.

¡Gracias por su ayuda!

2. txpaddler

txpaddler Senior Member

Texas
    United States - English
    At the neighborhood level, a precinct chair has primarily electoral duties. Ward boss is a good historical term, but perhaps not used much any more. Ward once was a common term the smallest political unit of a city.

3. A puntero politico in Argentina today is likely someone pushing residents into pro-government (Kirchnerista) participation. There is no simple English translation that I know of. Something of a populist political organiser but at the same time with illicit mafioso overtones in the usual Peronist manner --- one who uses his connections with the national government to award favours, buy votes, etc.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  4. ronor New Member

English UK
    From my experience locally in Argentina, a 'puntero politico' can be of any party. In UK English, he/she would be a party member of the local branch.
    There is the extra connotation that this person gets some priviledge or reward for his/her membership, like preference for jobs, or is given building materials for free in exchange for his/her vote, encouraging others to vote for that party or taking people in their car to the polls.
    I think 'party member' is a possibility or 'affliate' or 'supporter'.
    I think it would depend on the context and if there were negative connotations and in that case 'henchman' could be used if there were really dirty dealings involving violence with mafioso overtones.
    It is one of those words with a lot of cultural implications.

5. ronor, thanks for your comment. I would suggest that the puntero is not so much the bottom-of-the-food-chain recipient of such dubious gains, as the one who provides those rewards, as a sort of "boss." As wikipedia suggests:

Puntero político, en Argentina, dícese de los caudillos de los barrios populares, que usualmente funcionan como apéndice del Estado en cuanto al poder territorial y el clientelismo político.

----

An appropriately negative description of such punteros here:
    Los punteros reinan en la Argentina http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1632811-los-punteros-reinan-en-la-argentina
    ----

Of course, we are still lacking an adequate translation of the term, though the previously mentioned "ward boss" might come close.