puntiforme, casuale, aggregato, sporadico, a macchia

anglomania1

UK English
Hi there,
I'm afraid I've put a few words together because I need to translate them in conncetion with each other so I hope the mods will allow it (otherwise I'll have to open five threads with the same questions!).
The context is a vine disease and the sentence is:
La distribuzione delle piante sintomatiche in campo può essere di vario tipo: puntiforme, casuale o aggregata. In particolare, nella maggior parte dei vigneti le piante sintomatiche sono presenti in maniera sporadica e puntiforme. Quando invece l’incidenza della malattia è maggiore, per lo più si osserva una distribuzione a macchia o focolaio, localizzati sia verso i bordi che centralmente.

My problem is to understand the difference.Could it be:
puntiforme = isolated
casual =random
aggregata = in groups
sporadica = sporadic (isolated again?)
a macchia = in groups (again)?
Have I understood correctly?
Thanks for any light shed on this,
Anglo

• Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    puntiforme = isolated here and there
    causale = random
    aggregata = grouped /clustered
    sporadica = occasional /accidental /rare
    a macchia = plants dotted here and there similarly to the leopard fur.
    focolaio = I don't know.....

HTH :)

Mary49

Italian
    @lorena: forse ho capito male quello che volevi dire, ma "a macchia" non significa che le piante sono "dotted", ma che ci sono gruppi di piante malate (macchie).
    "a focolaio" = focal

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Boh, probabilmente ho sbagliato a usare "to dot" così?
    In ogni caso il senso che volevo dare è "cluster of plants distributed like ,more or less, regular dots on the landscape"

v. dot·ted, dot·ting, dots
    v.tr.

3. To cover with or as if with dots: "Campfires, like red, peculiar blossoms, dotted the night" (Stephen Crane).

ohbice

La distribuzione delle piante sintomatiche in campo può essere di vario tipo: puntiforme, casuale o aggregata. In particolare, nella maggior parte dei vigneti le piante sintomatiche sono presenti in maniera sporadica e puntiforme. Quando invece l’incidenza della malattia è maggiore, per lo più si osserva una distribuzione a macchia o focolaio, localizzati sia verso i bordi che centralmente.

My problem is to understand the difference.Could it be:
    puntiforme = isolated
    casual =random
    aggregata = in groups
    sporadica = sporadic (isolated again?)
    a macchia = in groups (again)?
    Have I understood correctly?
    Thanks for any light shed on this,
    Anglo
    "per lo più si osserva una distribuzione delle piante sintomatiche a macchia o focolaio,".
    Questo è come lo capisco io. Credo che le piante sintomatiche siano presenti in maniera non uniforme, ma concentrata la dove maggiore è la presenza di macchie malate.
    Ancora una cosa: anch'io penso che sporadico e puntiforme NON siano la stessa cosa. Se la teoria vuole che le piante sintomatiche debbano essere n per ettaro, nella maggior parte dei casi reali la loro presenza è di n-m. Sporadica, appunto. E insufficiente.
    Non so se e quanto questo possa essere utile...
    Ciao
    p

MR1492

English -USA
    anglo,

I am not sure but I think I agree with ohbice. So, does the "a macchia o focolaio" describe spotting which is "widespread or localized?" The text may be using the former term for spotting everywhere versus the spotting in a specific location.

Just a thought.

Phil

anglomania1

UK English
    Hi everyone and thanks for your quick and exhaustive replies!!:)
    I understood from the text that "a macchia o focolaio" meant the same thing - am I wrong?
    Anyway, if I have read all your suggestions correctly, would I be right in saying:
    puntiforme = isolated, here and there
    casuale = random
    aggregata = grouped /clustered
    sporadica = maybe I should stick to "sporadic"?
    a macchia/a focolaio = plants dotted here and there, grouped irregularly (is that not similar to aggregata?). Or Phil's widespread or localized spotting/grouping?
    Thanks,
    Anglo

MR1492

English -USA
    anglo,

I vote for Phil's excellent and perspicacious observation. It just seems that the way the original is phrased (distribuzione a macchia o focolaio) that these two are distinct and opposites. At least that's how it appeared to me. :)

Always a pleasure, anglo!

Phil

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    le piante sintomatiche sono presenti in maniera sporadica e puntiforme

To me it means that there is just one single plant here and there.

a macchia = clustered plants dotted around

focolaio = means a large group of plants that shows to be the origin of other illness episodes

anglomania1

UK English
    Thanks everyone:)!
    That makes more sense now, Lorena! Also because I found "hotbed/breeding ground" for "focolaio", which would make sense with your explanation of being the origin of the disease.
    Thanks to all,
    Anglo

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    In fact I had found "breeding" referred to "focolaio" but not enough time to search properly for a reliable example. Glad you found it!

< Previous | Next >