purchase quantity/volume

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please see the following sentence (in a survey report) I've just made up.

The following table shows consumers' average monthly purchase quantity for ready-to-drinks.

If you saw this sentence before looking at the table, would you interpret the "purchase quantity" as "the number of cans/bottles/cartons consumers purchase", not "the amount of content (=liquid) the consumers purchase"? How about if it was "purchase volume"?

Below is the table the sentence refers to. Would both "purchase quantity" and "purchase volume" work? Would you use the plural ("quantities" "volumes")?

• owlman5

English-US
    I prefer "quantity" here, meijin. If you used units like liters, "volume" would make more sense to me. Also, I associate "volume" with "sales volume" in business language.

If I were free to invent a heading for the table, I'd use "units sold".

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you very much, owlman. So, if I understand correctly, while "purchase volume" means virtually the same as "sales volume (http://www.businessdictionary.com)", you would use "sales volume" if the survey report was for your client company (who commissioned the survey), and wouldn't use it if the report was for general consumers (and you wouldn't use "purchase volume" either because "unites", or "number of drinks" perhaps, is more reader-friendly).

owlman5

English-US
    I usually see amounts in dollars when "sales volume" is mentioned in some source. This is one reason that I'm not really comfortable with "volume" in your table.

I'm not any kind of authority on business language, however. You might want to collect a few more opinions before you make up your mind.

Last edited:

meijin

Japanese
    I usually see amounts in dollars when "sales volume" is mentioned in some source. This is one reason that I'm not really comfortable with "volume" in your table.
    Thanks owlman. I now see why you find "volume" not quite right.

< Previous | Next >