purser=flight attendant

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi there, Just wonder in your experience do you think the use of purser in the following script I read is common:

The (chief) purser XXX with all your crew members will be sincerely at your service. We hope you enjoy the flight! Thank you!
The purser used here is apparently referring to flight attentant, but in other related post I found where one of dear forum members mentioned the use is not familiar.

• Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    A purser is a flight attendant (on an aeroplane at least) but not every flight attendant is a purser. The purser is more senior than a regular flight attendant.

You can find a purser on a ship as well, but I haven't yet looked up the definition. Perhaps google or one of the many dictionaries will help...

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    A purser is a flight attendant (on an aeroplane at least) but not every flight attendant is a purser. The purser is more senior than a regular flight attendant.

You can find a purser on a ship as well, but I haven't yet looked up the definition. Perhaps google or one of the many dictionaries will help...
    Thank you very much.

Brioche

Australia English
    Pursers are officials on ships who responsible for papers and accounts.
    They looked after the "purse" with the money, hence the name.

Their role also extends to ensuring the comfort of the passengers.

With "title inflation", some flight attendants are called pursers, just as short-order cooks are now executive chefs, and the janitor is the senior vice-president of sanitation services.

< Previous | Next >