pursued/accomplished/carried out/performed by employing

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
Hi, I would please ask you which of the expressions in bold is correct in the following (I believe that accomplished is the best):
She also appreciates that the development of new technologies is pursued/accomplished/carried out/performed [by the company] by employing a wide range of channels, as exemplified by UVS which provides support to companies with promising technologies in ...

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    All four words are correct. All four are common in sentences like this. There are small differences in meaning, but the overall context of the paragraph affects the meaning as much as word choice.

e2efour

UK English
    First, there is no sentence. Secondly there is no context or source. :)

Accomplished sounds ok, and I agree that the use of performed in relation to development is problematic.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Sure, you can "perform development" -- in AE. I guess you can't in BE.

Here is a google Ngram, showing how often the four phrases are used in in books: accomplish and perform are equal, and pursue and carry out are more common:

Google Ngram Viewer

lingobingo

English - England
    Here is a google Ngram, showing how often the four phrases are used in in books: accomplish and perform are equal, and pursue and carry out are more common: Google Ngram Viewer
    Quite apart from the inescapable American bias (due to the sheer volume of US websites), these graphs provide an interesting overview but can be a bit misleading. If you do a standard Google search in inverted commas of a particular two-word term, the results thrown up include irrelevant ones, e.g. where the two words occur in different sentences (since it ignores punctuation), where one's maybe a trade name, etc, etc. But most importantly, it throws up pairings of those two words that are followed by another word/phrase that completely changes the usage you're trying to check, rendering that instance invalid.

This applies when you Google pursue/accomplish/carry out/perform development, because those verbs (to varying degrees) aren't just used with the noun development, they very often precede a term in which development acts as an adjective — such as development work / functions / program[me]s / goals / priorities… to name but a few.

marcbatco

Italian-Italy
    All four words are correct. All four are common in sentences like this. There are small differences in meaning, but the overall context of the paragraph affects the meaning as much as word choice.
    I agree that accomplished is best. And performed doesn't work – you don't perform development.
    First, there is no sentence. Secondly there is no context or source. :)

Accomplished sounds ok, and I agree that the use of performed in relation to development is problematic.
    Thank you, dojibear, lingobingo and e2efour, for your replies and suggestions.

< Previous | Next >