Pursuit of/Pursuit for

< Previous | Next >

Al Milo

French - France
Hey everyone.

I was just wondering if you could help me with something.
We're having a heated debate here on the use of "pursuit for" against "pursuit of".
I know that "pursuit of" would be more commonly used but "pursuit for" is still correct, right?

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Al

• Matching Mole

England, English
    We will require context in order to answer your question. Can you supply some example sentences using "pursuit for" that have come up in your discussion?

Al Milo

French - France
    Thanks for your reply!

It was just about "the pursuit for excellence" as a kind of slogan.
    Some people say it's correct, some say it isn't and you can only say "the pursuit of excellence."

Matching Mole

England, English
    If you consider this sentence:
    "The police pursued the bank robbers" then the sentence:
    "The police were in pursuit for the bank robbers" is not an equivalent. "For" seems to indicate "for the benefit of", "on behalf of", etc., which is clearly not what is happening in the original sentence.

So if we say "Pursuit for Excellence", we can't be pursuing excellence, we must be pursuing something (else) for the sake of excellence, for example. I don't think this is very satisfactory, not least because we don't seem to know what is being pursued. If excellence is being pursued, then surely the regular preposition "of" should be used. It seems to me that "pursuit" is being used as if it were a verb such as "race" or "struggle" (some kind of competition, for example) with "excellence" as the prize, but it is not such a verb.

Al Milo

French - France
    Okay. Well, thank you very much for this explanation, I see the difference now.
    You're a very helpful mole :)

< Previous | Next >