pursuit

< Previous | Next >

as_99

Arabic
I would say: As for the effort I made to find something about this subject

but with I would like to use "pursuit".

Please correct me if I am mistaken:

"In the (or my) pursuit of this subject, I have been srearching the library for..."

• Copyright

American English
    For me, pursuit has too much of the car chase feel about it... or at least I think it's better used in a more active environment than library searches. How about a compromise?

In pursuing this subject, I have been searching the library...

as_99

Arabic
    For me, pursuit has too much of the car chase feel about it... or at least I think it's better used in a more active environment than library searches. How about a compromise?

In pursuing this subject, I have been searching the library...
    but pursuit is the name of pursuing ... so what is the difference ?!

Copyright

American English
    but pursuit is the name of pursuing ... so what is the difference ?!
    Common usage and how we associate words with actions.

Having said that, if you really want pursuit, please use it. But because of expressions like "hot pursuit," I tend to think of other things -- and I want my reader to stay on track, not start remembering The French Connection. :) But that's just me.

I can, however, see using it like this: In his pursuit of the company's top position, he double-crossed or fired many of his friends. Or, In his pursuit of an education, he did anything he could -- often holding down two or three menial jobs at a time.

I guess I want a little more drama with my pursuit. Not library science.

Wishfull

Japanese
    In the pursuit of truth about this matter, I have been searching the library...

Hi.
    Might this be possible?
    "The pursuit of truth" might be a lofty expression, or just snobbish?

< Previous | Next >