push and pull

omar.cantu

Espanol
Hola a todos, quiero preguntar si alguno tiene una traduccion adecuada para la el termino push and pull en la frase "Standard Reports allowing for push and pull capabilities"

• SILSEP

Spain, Spanish
    Hola Omar,

Yo traduciría "push and pull" como "estira y afloja".

Aunque es bastante difícil ya que quizá sea algo especifico según el contexto. Es algún tema informático?

Bueno, este es mi intento:

"Informes estándard que proporcionen una habilidad en el manejo o uso" (como "teje y maneje")

bueno, quizás algún nativo pueda sacarnos de dudas.

saludos

omar.cantu

Espanol
    omar.cantu said:
    Hola a todos, quiero preguntar si alguno tiene una traduccion adecuada para la el termino push and pull en la frase "Standard Reports allowing for push and pull capabilities"

Efectivamente, la frase es dentro de un contexto de Informática.

Alief

English US
    Push/Pull-- These are typical signs you see on doors in the USA's major department stores, such as Macys or DIllards. Now suppose I were in Spain, in downtown Madrid, & I decide to go shopping in a major departmnet store there: What would I see on their doors to indicate wheather I had to push or pull? Anyone from Spain?--ALief

Ferry

Spain, Spanish
    Yes, I'm from Spain, but as you can read on his previous post, the context is Computers.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

mardiz

American English (Northeast)
    In Information Technology, the terms push and pull describe how information and reports arrive to the end user.

A typical push scenario: The articles you read every day on www.ElPais.es are pushed to the website by El Pais. The end user has no choice in what he is viewing.

A typical pull scenario: You go to Amazon.com to buy a book. You enter some search criteria and you pull information from the Amazon database of books. This is a list that gets created only when the end user asks (queries) for it.

I do not know the translation into Spanish but remember that push and pull are very common terms so there is a standard translation. I would recommend thinking up some possible translations and then google them to see if you can find them in the context I described above.

Regards,

Mardiz

Natuz

Hola Omar!
    La información anterior me parece muy adecuada y si no tenes apuro puedo averiguarlo en mi oficina ya que tratamos patentes sobre telecomunicaciones. Generalmente hay término sespecíficos que no traducimos pero lo sveriguo y te contesto.
    Suerte!!

Ferry

Spain, Spanish
    @mardiz

How do you know that? Only the original poster knows the correct context of his query and whether any answer is correct or not, since he never came back to tell us.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

mardiz

Hi Ferry,
    There is enough context from Omar, the original poster:

"Standard Reports allowing for push and pull capabilities"

In Information Technology, Standard Reports generated from any kind of data collection and data analysis can be built with either push or pull technology. With a push technology, you can see the same 4 or 8 or 80 or N number of report types every day, with new data from the previous day, or previous week, for example. On the other hand with pull technology, the user builds a query through his graphical user interface by specifying report type, object of the report, date/time frame, and any other parameters. The query in turn gathers the information from the database and that information is presented in a user-friendly format. There are many examples of this pull request. For example, when you use the forum dictionary you are doing a very simple pull of data about one word. Pushing standard reports was much more common before the advent of three tiered enterprise system architecture, but it is still important for software products to offer clients the ability to push standard reports as well as for end users to pull information into a report with a standard format. I have developed many push reports as well as pull reports. Moreover, I used to work with many software consultants in Spanish-speaking countries who did the same but unfortunately I am no longer in contact with them to ask them about the standard translation of these common IT terms. Nonetheless, Ferry, this is how I know.

You in fact may be able to come up with the proper answer for us. Question for you: Do you know web software developers in your city of Valencia? They will understand this technology perfectly and give you the standard terms for push and pull in Spanish. It is a very common technology.

Regards,

Mardiz

Ferry

Spain, Spanish
    Yep, you are right. We proposed possible meanings in English, but not a single translation so, as you correctly stated, it remains unanswered.

Thanks for your explanation, I'll try to find the correct translation.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

mardiz

Wooo, coyboy.... hold your horses one minute... "We proposed possible meanings"??? How about this: I explained the context in painstaking detail. Now we need a Spanish speaking software developer to come up with the translation. Yes, it would be nice if you found one.

Mardiz

Loitey

Uruguay Spanish
    Por los años 50 se utilizaban amplificadores a lámpara con salida Push/Pull Eran dos válvulas pentodo que se complementaban el su amplificación y la llamabamos "Amplificador con lámparas en Contrafase "

Ferry

Spain, Spanish
    Well, I found some possible translations, but I also found that many spanish specialized papers use the trem untranslated: "tecnología push-pull".

The translations I found are:

- One from an attemp of Catalonian government to translate Internet terms from English to Catalonian (http://www.softcatala.org/articles/article19.htm), and the translation they suggest for "push-push technology" is, in Catalonian, "tecnologia de tramesa automàtica-induïda", being its Spanish equivalent "tecnología de envío automático-inducido". I like specially this one, since it refers to the main characteristic of pull-push technology: automatic sending [by the server] of info (push) vs. inducted retrieving [by the client] of info (pull).

- Another one ( http://www.r020.com.ar/paperlandia/detalle.php?id_handler=6717) would be "tecnología de recuperación y difusión", but in the same page you can find the same term untranslated.

I guess many people use it untranslated because the translation is quite longer than the original English sentence.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

mardiz

Thank you Natuz for that confirmation from the Argentine Patents Office, and Ferry for your Catalán documentation. Loitey, good effort but your documentation on the lamp does not help with this specific issue. Thank you, though.

So, does anyone want to take a stab at: Standard Reports allowing for push and pull capabilities?

Mardiz

Ferry

Spain, Spanish
    Yes, me:

"Informes estándar que permitan el envío automático y el inducido."

Thanks, Mardiz, you have been pushing in order to "pull" the best out of us... ;-)

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

mardiz

Yes, me:

"Informes estándar que permitan el envío automático y el inducido."

Thanks, Mardiz, you have been pushing in order to "pull" the best out of us... ;-)

Saluditos,

Ferrán.

Ferrán, This is an excellent translation. I hope this gets picked up by th dictionary.

Great pun too. Thank you for the compliment.

frangs

Spanish Spain
    Conversación hipotética entre alguien que dispone de unos "informes estándar que permiten el envío automático y el inducido" y un ing. de telecomunicaciones o informático.

A.- Mira, dispongo aquí de unos iformes que permiten el envío automático y el inducido, a ver qué te parecen.
    Ing. - ¿Envío automático e inducido? Qué interesante, y ¿cómo lo implementaís?.
    A.- Bueno, es la típica tecnología "push-pull" que se realiza...
    Ing. - ¡¡¡Ah!!! El push-pull, sí hombre, haberlo dicho antes.