Push door

JSRM

Spanish - colombia
Hi
I was wondering if Push door can be used as a noun (e.g., This is a push door)
I believe that is it. I would be very grateful if you made it clear.

Thanks in advance.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, JSRM. :)

I've never seen it used that way. I suppose you mean that it is a door that you open by pushing on it. If that's what you mean, then it is understandable. But perhaps you had better explain more exactly how this door works.

If it is a door that opens when people push on it an walk through, is called a 'swinging door'. Is that what you mean?

JSRM

Spanish - colombia
    Let's say that a person is locked outside their friend's home, while their friend is in. After a while the latter opens the door and asks the other one why they did not push the door since it is a push door, and that is how the one who was locked outside seems to be dumb.

Is it clear now?
    Is it idiomatic to say it?

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    No, this isn't an idiom in English.

All doorways can be walked through from 2 directions. If the door only turns one way ("opens inward" or "opens outward") then it is a door you "push" from one side, and "pull" from the other side (using the knob or handle). There are a few doors, often in restaurants, that you can "push" in either direction. But we don't call them "push doors".

A locked door can't be opened by pushing. It must be unlocked, or opened from the inside. So in your example it was unlocked, but the person didn't get in because he only tried pulling, not pushing. We would call this a "door that opens inward" (swings into the house when open).