push through

Bigtime

Arabic
Wordreference in Arabic translation indicated the meaning of "push through" is to "force to accept something"

Can we say:

The sales person pushed through his proposal.
meaning
The sales person forced the client to accept his proposal.

Thanks.

• owlman5

English-US
    I'm not sure that a salesperson can really do this, Bigtime. That salesperson could talk very smoothly and persuade the client to accept some proposal, but I don't think he could force the client into anything.

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Wordreference in Arabic translation indicated the meaning of "push through" is to "force to accept something"

Can we say:

The sales person pushed through his proposal.
    meaning
    The sales person forced the client to accept his proposal.

Thanks.
    "Push through" has more of a connotation of persuasion than of force, and it usually is used in a context of persuading a group to accept a particular idea or proposition.

Bigtime

Arabic
    So, in this case, we could say that the Subject persuaded the client to accept his proposal.

George French

English - UK
    "Push through" has more of a connotation of persuasion than of force, and it usually is used in a context of persuading a group to accept a particular idea or proposition.
    I see little or no effective difference between force through and push through (in the context described in the opening post).

GF..

A quote from http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/push+through
    push something through (something)
    1. Lit. to force something to penetrate something. Tony pushed the needle through the cloth, and drew the thread tight. He pushed the needle through just like a tailor.

2. Fig. to force passage of a motion or law. The committee chairman managed to push the bill through the committee. With a little lobbying, they pushed it through.

< Previous | Next >