pushed through the glass of a department store

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Out of curiosity, I wondered, if there were more than just one window pane that were ripped, if could say 'pushed through the glass of a department store'?

I know you might very well say 'pushed through the windows in (or, of) a department store,' but I'm curious to know if 'pushed through the glass of a department store' is possible.

They said it was a bigger reception than Eisenhower got when he was there. I grew accustomed to things like that. In Scotland, people pushed through the glass in a department-store window. In Holland, they chased me down the street.
('American Beat' by Bob Greene)

• if there were more than just one window pane that were ripped,

I would not call a large window, a 'pane'. Our department stories have large windows, 3 by 4 meters, in series. One -- or a crowd-- could push through one such window, I suppose, with enough force.

if could say 'pushed through the glass of a department store'?

You'd have to say, "...of a department-store window."

waltern

English - USA
    That does not work for me...the whole phrase is a little awkward (it looks like reported speech), but I if I had to keep the structure to refer to numerous windows I would say something like "people pushed through the glass of a department store's windows."

(Also note windows are "broken", not "ripped.")

Last edited:

HSS

Thanks, bennymix and waltern.

'People pushed the glass of department store windows' does not refer to all the windows of the store but some or a number of windows, does it? I just wanted to confirm.

Thanks,

Hiro

waltern

English - USA
    If I understand your question, "windows" simply refers to more than one window - without further context, perhaps all of the windows, perhaps not.

HSS

waltern,

Thanks. You said 'the glass of a department store's windows.' I wondered if 'the glass' refers to all the windows or just some of the store. Could very well be the latter, right?

In the new sentence, [People pushed through] 'the glass of a department store's windows.'

'the glass' means 'the glass of those (several) windows that were pushed through'.

waltern,

Thanks. You said 'the glass of a department store's windows.' I wondered if 'the glass' refers to all the windows or just some of the store. Could very well be the latter, right?

< Previous | Next >