Put a sock on the door.

Brave Heart

Japan, Japanese
Hi

Could you tell me the meaning of "Put a sock on the door" in the following context?

The following is an excerpt from US TV show "The OC".

Seth and Ryan are close friends. Seth is going to a party where he would most likely be unwelcome. Ryan is worried about Seth's going to the party, but Ryan has to go on a date with his girlfriend.

---------------------------------------------------

Seth: It's fine. It is not a big deal. I promise. Now... you got a date, okay? So, you have to go. (Ryan still looks worried) Make me proud. (Ryan gives up and walks away) Put a sock on the door!

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks. :)

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'm not an afficionado of television but

Put a sock in it is an old-fashioned expression in BE meaning please be quiet - shut up (it's not polite): the idea is that one should put a sock in one's mouth.

I suspect your phrase means 'don't slam the door' - I don't think it's suggesting they go to the lengths of putting a sock round the door to stop it banging.

Let's see what the AE experts say. Their views will be much more authoritative.

Hi

Could you tell me the meaning of "Put a sock on the door" in the following context?

The following is an excerpt from US TV show "The OC".

Seth and Ryan are close friends. Seth is going to a party where he would most likely be unwelcome. Ryan is worried about Seth's going to the party, but Ryan has to go on a date with his girlfriend.

---------------------------------------------------

Seth: It's fine. It is not a big deal. I promise. Now... you got a date, okay? So, you have to go. (Ryan still looks worried) Make me proud. (Ryan gives up and walks away) Put a sock on the door!

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks. :)
    Hi Brave Heart,

I see "put a sock on the door" as a sign meaning, "Do not disturb".

Please wait for other replies.

LRV

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Sorry, Thomas Tompion, but I think you're off in the wrong direction. I tend to go in the same direction as Her Highness.

Would Ryan and Seth be roommates? Putting a sock, a necktie, a scarf on the outside doorknob is an old way for one roommate to let the other one know that they have a date in the room, probably for the night. I think that Seth is wishing Ryan "luck" on his date (i.e. that the evening will end in sex).

Ms Missy

USA English
    Thanks Nun Translator and GuitarMaestro! This expression is entirely new to me ... it's the first time I'm seeing it interpreted although I have seen it posted on at least one other thread on the forum.

Brave Heart

Japan, Japanese
    Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. :)

Hi Nun. Seth and Ryan are living in the same house and Seth often visits Ryan's room. So, your guess is absolutely right. :)

< Previous | Next >