Put it in the... / It is in the... (accusative, dative)

< Previous | Next >

quesuerte

Oxford English UK
Hello all!

How would the following be expressed in correct German?

Put the shirt in the wardrobe.
The shirt is in the wardrobe.

Put the cup in the cupboard.
The cup is in the cupboard.

This will answer several questions I have in one go!

Many thanks! :)

• User1001

American English
    The four following ways can all be used to express "put" - give it a shot first and then get corrections. One can learn better that way. :)

stellen -> noun's standing in a vertical position
    legen -> noun's standing in a horizontal position
    stecken -> when the noun is placed INSIDE something else
    setzen -> the noun is put into a sitting position

quesuerte

Oxford English UK
    Stecken Sie das Hemd in den Kleiderschrank.
    Das Hemd ist in dem Kleiderschrank.

Stecken Sie die Tasse in den Schrank.
    Die Tasse ist in dem Schrank.

That's my guess. Please try and make my sentences as idiomatic as possible! Thanks!

Henryk

Germany, German
    "Stecken" doesn't quite work here. It usually means to plug something into something. I'd use none of tspiers' suggestions in this very context, though. My choice would be "einräumen".

In everyday speech, some excessively use "packen" for "put" but it's not very advisable to use it.

User1001

American English
    "Stecken" doesn't quite work here. It usually means to plug something into something. I'd use none of tspiers in this very context, though. My choice would be "einräumen".

In everyday speech, some excessively use "packen" for "put" but it's not very advisable to use it.

Stecken Sie den Brief in den Kasten -> put the letter in the letter box

I know for a fact that the sentence I wrote is fine, so tell me, what makes that sentence any different from quesuerte's, excluding the context? You're doing exactly the same thing - taking one object and placing it inside another. :rolleyes:

Henryk

Germany, German
    That does indeed work. But language is never logical, you've got to keep that in mind. Fact is that no native speaker would use "stecken" in this context. I think you've got to learn such things by rote.

As for the shirt in the wardrobe, I'd use "hängen". "Einräumen" works only with cups, plates, etc.

quesuerte

Oxford English UK
    Ah, this is getting clearer! But, does it change depending on which things you are putting away or on where you are putting them?

"Put your socks in the drawer."
    "Put the shirt in the cupboard."

What, for example would you say if you were just putting something into the bottom of a wardrobe? Like shoes?

"Put your shoes in the wardrobe."

Many thanks!

Hutschi

For the shirt, it depends on the method:
    hängen - hang (prefered method in the wardrobe and cloakroom (in die Garderobe (cloakroom), an die Garderobe (I did not find a proper English word)
    legen - put in the sense: lay (prefered method in a cupboard, if it is for example a t-shirt (in den Schrank bzw. Kleiderschrank)
    einräumen - general word (a kind of umbrella word for "put into the cupboard")

Note: wardrobe has two German translations:
    1. Garderobe
    2. Kleiderschrank

Both are quite different.

Kajjo

I know for a fact that the sentence I wrote is fine, so tell me, what makes that sentence any different from quesuerte's, excluding the context? You're doing exactly the same thing - taking one object and placing it inside another. :rolleyes:
    Sure, I see your point. Unfortunately, while the English "put" can be used for very many quite different actions related to putting one object from here to there, the German language has a variety of different verbs for specific actions. You simply cannot use stecken like you can use put in English. Sorry, it could have been so easy...

Bitte hängen Sie das Hemd in den Schrank.
    Bitte stellen Sie die Tasse in den Schrank.
    Bitte legen Sie das Handtuch in den Schrank.

Note, that as rule of thumb the object is afterwards doing quite a similar action:

Das Hemd hängt im Schrank.
    Die Tasse steht im Schrank.
    Das Handtuch liegt im Schrank.

Kajjo

< Previous | Next >