put money on

Madonna Halim

Arabic
In the book "Branding yourself", there was an interview with the writer who set up Haggard Hawks account on twitter, and he was asked about the words that rhyme with "orange", the interviewee said there is the word "sporange", but the writer replied that it's pronounced "spuh-RANJ", the conversation then goes as follows:
Q: I just checked. It appears that the British pronunciation is “spuh-RANJ,” but Americans pronounce it like it rhymes with orange.
A: Superb. I’d put money on the pronunciation changing just so that we can say it rhymes with orange. But I’ll still take it!
What does "put money on" here, that he's sure of the pronunciation changing was made just to say it rhyming with orange? and what does "take it" mean here, "accept it"?

• Chasint

English - England
    "to put money on X" means to place a bet that X will happen.

He says he is so certain that the pronunciation will change that he would be willing to invest money by placing a bet on it.

"take it" = "accept it"

kentix

English - U.S.
    I agree with Chasint but I think it applies to the past and not the future.

I’d put money on the pronunciation changing having changed (i.e. changing in the past to the current AE pronunciation) just so that we can say it rhymes with orange. But I’ll still take it!

"I'd put money on it" means "I don't currently know the reason that the American pronunciation is different but I'm willing to bet money that that is the reason it changed" [it changed so finally there can be a word that rhymes with orange].

"I'll take it" means "I would prefer if the pronunciation was naturally that way, but I'm still happy about it even if it was purposely changed to rhyme with orange and it's not just by chance."

< Previous | Next >