putative and presumed ?

< Previous | Next >

Amberouc

Chinese
Hi! Can some one tell me the difference between "putative" and "presumed"?

e.g. "putative species" and "presumed species", do they mean the same thing?

Thanks!

• Amberouc

Chinese
    Thank you for reply, Copyright!
    e.g
    1. “Fig. 4A shows a presumptive species identification of 42 Aspergillus samples in three major groups.”

2. “Another controversial aspect of the DNA barcoding initiative relates to the number of individuals of each putative species to include in the analysis.”

The two sentences are from different scientific papers. I am not sure whether the two words are with the same meaning.

Copyright

American English
    Thank you for the context.The two words mean different things, just as their dictionary definitions suggest:

1. “Fig. 4A shows a presumptive species identification of 42 Aspergillus samples in three major groups.”
    presumptive: of the nature of a presumption – presumed in the absence of further information.
    Here, the species identification has been tentatively, temporarily, made based on available information at the time. This could change with more information.

2. “Another controversial aspect of the DNA barcoding initiative relates to the number of individuals of each putative species to include in the analysis.”

putative: generally considered or reputed to be.
    Here, I believe that each species is generally considered to be a separate species – in other words, we’re not arguing about the classification of species here; we’re focusing on something else, i.e. the number of individuals to include in the analysis.

< Previous | Next >