Putting a word between أنّه and the verb

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jmt356, Nov 21, 2013.

1. jmt356 Senior Member

Putting a word between أنّه and the verb

I am wondering whether we can put a word, such as the conjunction “if,” between أنّه (or إنّه) and the verb that follows it.
    For example:

He said that if he works, he will save money.
    قال إنّه إذا يشتغل، سيوفر فلوسا.

2. jack_1313 Senior Member

English - Australian
    Hi Jmt. As no one has answered your question, I will chime in with the understanding that someone more knowledgeable might like to correct me.

In Arabic, it is possible to form a nominal sentence were the predicate (خبر) is a whole new clause or group of clauses that have something to do with the subject. A simple example is:
    أنا عندي سؤال I have a question.
    Here, أنا is the subject (مبتدأ) and the predicate is a whole clause about the subject that has its own subject (سؤال) and predicate (عندي).

I can’t find anything about this type of sentence in my grammar references, but I’m sure it exists.

Hence, I see no problem with your construction, which introduces a subject and then uses a pair of clauses as its predicate. Google indicates that it is widely used.

Also, on a separate note, it might be a good idea to look into the ضمير الشأن. Sometimes, it is not possible to arrange a dependent clause introduced by إن or a sister so that the subject comes before the verb (i.e. so that it is a nominal sentence). In those cases, a dummy pronoun (invariably ه) is attached to إن or its sister and serves to introduce the dependent clause as a whole. I won’t go into this further as it is not the case here and warrants its own thread.

3. dkarjala Senior Member

English - America
    The answer is that you can put a conditional sentence after a form of إنّ but be careful, if you are intending to use Standard Arabic, to follow the rules of conditional sentences. For the 'if' clause, use either 1) perfect tense or 2) jussive. I.e., for this sentence you could say:

إذا اِشتَغَلَ "if he works"
    إذا يَشتَغِلْ "if he works" (note the sukuun)

For the result clause you may use either 1) perfect tense or 2) jussive or 3) فـ + another type of verb or nominal sentence, i.e.

وفّر الفلوس "he'll save money"
    يوفّرْ الفلوس "he'll save money" (the sukuun here is to show the jussive - it should be pronounced kasra before الـ)
    فَسَيوفّر الفلوس "he'll save money"

The rules for the unreal conditional (لو) are a little different and I'll leave them alone for another thread, if necessary.

Quite right; in a nominal sentence, as you know, the مبتدأ is a noun and the خبر can be a 1) noun 2) adjective 3) nominal sentence 4) verbal sentence 5) prepositional phrase. It is very astute of you to cite "Me, I have a question" as this type of sentence. This is called topicalizing and Arabic does it in a way English doesn't have - this is one reason why you don't have a word for expressing 'by' in passive sentences, e.g., 'this was written by me' - because you can say "this, I wrote it" without the awkwardness it has in English.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013