Putting together jigsaw puzzle

jkt85

indonesia-jakarta
Hi everyone,
while I was putting together jigsaw puzzle, my kid took one piece of the puzzle and asked me to place it on the right place. What word should i use to replace the word "assemble" in the sentence below :
"Dad, can you help me to assemble this piece".

I'm not sure if i can use "put" because i think put doesn't suggest i have to put it in the right place.

• Myridon

English - US
    You can assemble the puzzle, but you can't assemble a piece. The piece is complete - it has no parts to assemble.
    "Put" is good but you can't just say "put this piece." "Can you help me put this piece in the right place?"
    "Can you help me place this piece?" might work but it sounds a little formal even for an adult. It doesn't sound like something a child would say.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    and asked me to place put it on in the right place.
    "Dad, can you help me to assemble this piece". :cross: You cannot "assemble (= to put together)" one piece. You assemble a jigsaw from the pieces.

Idiomatically:
    "Dad, can you help me to find where this piece goes?"
    "Dad, can you help me with this one/piece?"
    "Dad, where does this [piece] go?"
    "Dad, where do I put this piece?"

jkt85

indonesia-jakarta
    Thanks everyone. I get it now.

@PaulQ could you tell me why I can't use "place" in the sentence above? Because i thought "place" and "put" share similar meaning like in the sentence mentioned by myridon "Can you help me place this piece?".
    Is it because it sounds too formal?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    @PaulQ could you tell me why I can't use "place" in the sentence above? Because i thought "place" and "put" share similar meaning like in the sentence mentioned by myridon "Can you help me place this piece?".
    Is it because it sounds too formal?
    "To place" not only 'sounds' formal, it is far too formal.

"To place" in this context, and without a locative adverb/adverbial phrase, would mean "to associate <noun> with its exact location" and would not (necessarily) involve actually moving the piece.

This use of place can be seen in the more figurative use
    A: "Who's that man over there? I recognise his face but I can't quite place it."
    B: "I think he is the man who we saw at the pub three days ago - the man who was shouting at his dog."
    A: "Ah yes, that's him!"

< Previous | Next >