1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

puzzle

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Saritdiisraele, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Saritdiisraele Senior Member

Israel, hebrew
    There are two meaning to the word puzzle in these two lines right? What is happening?
    "by first separating the multiple pieces of the puzzle into different categories..." Here it is puzzle where you have to put together the pieces
    and here
    "One useful key for addressing such puzzles is to visualize an event or trend aspart of the end result of some unknown process." It means like Riddle right?

-From the book World Politics, Trend and Transformation by Charles W. Kegley, Jr and Shannon L. Blanton.

2. paul f Senior Member

Lyon, France
    English - England
    I would say that the meaning is actually the same in both sentences, however in the second one it is being used more metaphorically than figuratively.

3. Saritdiisraele Senior Member

Israel, hebrew
    Paul this is the background they give and that's made me thing they mean in one of them to "riddle" see (Hope it's ok to add it)

"When we describe international phenomena, we answer a “what” question. What is happening? What is changing? When we move from description toexplanation, we face the more diffi cult task of answering a “why” question. Why did event X happen? Why is global warming occurring? Why is the gap
    between rich and poor widening?

-From the book World Politics, Trend and Transformation by Charles W. Kegley, Jr and Shannon L. Blanton.

4. paul f Senior Member

Lyon, France
    English - England
    Sorry, I should have said that yes, riddle could easily work in the second sentence without losing or changing any of the meaning.

The slight nuance between riddle and puzzle in a more general context to me is that riddle implies more an exercise to test one's ingenuity and is therefore slightly more specific in certain ways but you are certainly right in saying that riddle can would work well as a substitute in the second sentence.

5. Saritdiisraele Senior Member

Israel, hebrew
    Thanks Paul ...