quale fosse la parola

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by pepismola, Feb 21, 2011.

1. pepismola Senior Member

Italian
    Ciao a tutti.
    Se voglio dire:
    "in questi giorni volevo proprio chiedervi quale fosse la parola con cui mi prendevate in giro l'estate scorsa"

una possibile traduzione sarebbe:
    "in these day I was just about to ask you what word was the one you made fun of me last summer".

So che è incorreta, ma non riesco a capire dov'è che sbaglio. Manca forse un "with" da qualche parte?
    Thanks in advance,
    Pepis

2. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

"In questi giorni"? Can this be used to refer to past times? Or does it refer to the present? (Becausethe sentence uses the past imperfect tense). Could it be "At this time I really / just wanted to ask you what word you used to make fun of / poke fun at me last summer."

3. macforever Senior Member

Italian
    A parte le giuste osservazioni di Johngiovanni, "in questi giorni" lo tradurrei con these days.

4. pepismola Senior Member

Italian
    I'd say it just refers to the very last few days

5. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Recently I was thinking to ask you what was the word you were teasing me with last summer.

6. pepismola Senior Member

Italian
    thanks everybody

7. mr cat Senior Member

English - England
    Is 'thinking to ask' common usage? Genuine question by the way.
    I would always say thinking of/about asking.
    Recently I was thinking about asking you what the word was that you were teasing me with last summer.

8. Gianfry

Gianfry Senior Member

Brighton, Uk
    Italian
    "In questi giorni" è una costruzione interessante (ci sono diversi thread a proposito).
    Nell'uso che ne fa pepismola significa "da qualche giorno a questa parte", comprendendo quindi il tempo presente, il momento in cui si parla (si veda anche il thread da qualche tempo a questa parte).
    Come si potrebbe tradurre correttamente? "For (the last few days / a few days now) I've been thinking of..."?

9. johngiovanni

I was reading in an Italian grammar book that "questo" is applied to anything which speakers / writers feel is close to them in space or time, or with which they present themselves as in some way very closely connected or associated. - including something which has recently been mentioned. To expand on my earlier question, I was wondering that if in the previous sentence the writer had been referring to the period of time in the past, could "questi giorni" refer to the period of time he had just mentioned? Or does "questi giorni" always mean recently, etc.?

10. Gianfry

Gianfry Senior Member

Brighton, Uk
    Italian
    @johngiovanni: I see your point, and the answer is: no. You would have found "In quei giorni". What about MY question?

11. johngiovanni

If I understand correctly the Italian in your question, "For (or "In") the last few days" or "For a few/ some/ several days now" are fine. Thank you for your answer to my question. In English, I think we could use "In these days" as well as "In those days" if we had previously been talking about the time. I am thinking about a pair of sentences such as "On holiday last year most days were warm and sunny and it rained on only one or two days. On these rainy days we just stayed in our tents."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011