qualifier/ qualifiers (soccer/football)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
1.Iran beat Lebanon 5-0 in the group B of 2015 Asian Cup soccer qualifier, local media reported on Thursday. (http://china.org.cn)

2.News Title: Saudi Arabia stun China in Asian Cup
qualifiers (http://www.emirates247.com)

At first, I used "qualifier" in the singular form under the assumption that qualifier referred to a single qualifier match, but a quick Google search pulled up plenty of examples in which "qualifiers" is used in the plural form, as in the second example. So, I'd like to know if "qualifiers" actually refers to the whole qualifying tournament rather than a single qualifier match.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I agree with wandle. The first (Iran/Lebanon) is very poorly written, and should, in my opinion, have 'qualifiers'. Though I know little about sport, I think it should probably read:
    'Iran beat Lebanon 5-0 in group B of the 2015 Asian Cup (soccer) qualifiers.'.

For a singular, I think you'd be looking at something like: 'Iran beat Lebanon 5-0 in a group B 2015 Asian Cup (soccer) qualifier.'

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you all. Can "qualifier" refer to a single match or the whole of the qualifying round depending on context?

For a singular, I think you'd be looking at something like: 'Iran beat Lebanon 5-0 in a group B 2015 Asian Cup (soccer) qualifier.'
    How about "in a group B 2015 Asian Cup (soccer) qualifier game/match"?

Last edited:

wandle

English - British
    How about "in a group B 2015 Asian Cup (soccer) qualifier game/match"?
    Not good. 'Qualifier' is a noun. In this context, it means 'qualifying game' or 'qualifying match'.
    Thus 'qualifier game' would be like saying 'qualifying game game'.

Better to say either 'in a Group B qualifier' or 'in a Group B qualifying game/match'.

< Previous | Next >