(qualify for) and (qualify [as]) an excuse

AntiScam

Arabic
Hello,

I'd like to know if I could use "qualify for" in the context below, with the meaning of "to give the right to do something":
Example: The abuse of some does not qualify for the tough and unnecessary restrictions.

Wordreference has this meaning but does not give an example of use:
"to get authority, license, power, etc., as by fulfilling required conditions, taking an oath, etc."

And what if I'd like to use the word reason? I am not sure about dropping the word "as":
The abuse of some doe not qualify [as] an excuse to set the tough and unnecessary restrictions.

Note: I suppose I could say:
"The abuse of some doe not justify the tough and unnecessary restrictions" and be done with it but I'd like to learn how to use qualify. I might need to paraphrase in when writing.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You seem to be asking about the difference between
    1. To qualify for something - to reach the standard at which [an action may happen]
    He ran quickly and qualified for inclusion in the Olympic team.
    He is qualified for all work involving brain surgery.

2. To qualify as something - to reach the standard at which [a particular description might be applied]
    He qualified as a member of the Olympic team
    He is qualified as a brain surgeon.

3. To justify something - (i) to give [a] moral reason to/for something. (ii) to make an action, etc., moral (iii) to claim an action, etc., to be moral.
    The action of murdering innocent people justifies the death penalty.
    He justified his theft of the bread by saying his children were starving.

To qualify refers to an absolute or objective standard, to justify refers to a subjective standard.

< Previous | Next >