qualify or be qualified?

uktous

cantonese
Hi,

Question:

Should I say "qualify" or "be qualified" in my sentence?

Sentence:

I want to qualify / be qualified as an accountant.

My opinion:

According to my dictionary, "qualify" should be used. However, someone suggests that "be qualified" should be used.

Thanks

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    I'd expect "be certified" here if one is describing an official recognition by some official entity or the granting of a license.

Both your suggestions are idiomatic, but this may not be the best word choice. Can you explain the situation further?

uktous

cantonese
    I'd expect "be certified" here if one is describing an official recognition by some official entity or the granting of a license.

Both your suggestions are idiomatic, but this may not be the best word choice. Can you explain the situation further?

"situation":
    I just write this on my resume.
    In the career objective part.

I write:
    To qualify as an accountant.

"describing an official recognition by some official entity or the granting of a license"
    Yes

uktous

cantonese
    To "qualify" would describe meeting requirements or criteria. To "be certified" or "be licensed" probably fits the situation better.
    Hi,

Will your opinion change if:

I needed pass 10 exams so as to gain theofficial recognition by some official entity or the granting of a license
    ?

When I tell the interviewer that I want to qualify as an accountant ?
    Thanks

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I needed pass 10 exams so as to gain theofficial recognition by some official entity or the granting of a license
    There's any number of ways to express this. Perhaps talking about "qualifying to be certified" or "qualifying to become" would be accurate.

When I tell the interviewer that I want to qualify as an accountant ?
    Thanks
    One could say that.

wonderwhy

Banned
    English - NaE
    "situation":
    I just write this on my resume.
    In the career objective part.

I write:
    To qualify as an accountant.

"describing an official recognition by some official entity or the granting of a license"
    Yes
    If you want the focus on your resume to be on you, and the certification is a ways off, then I would use 'qualify', Uktous. If your certification is imminent then you could use,

I hope/plan/expect to be certified/licensed as a _____ by [date].

uktous

cantonese
    There's any number of ways to express this. Perhaps talking about "qualifying to be certified" or "qualifying to become" would be accurate.

One could say that.
    HI,

Not understand "One could say that"

Does this mean that:
    I can tell the interviewer "I want to qualify as an accountant"
    ?

Thanks

< Previous | Next >