quantum coherence lasts up to time scale/scales

< Previous | Next >

yashar

Persian
Hello

I want to know if the red part in the below sentence should be plural or singular.

The motivation of this study was the fact that in photosynthesis phenomena it has been observed that quantum coherence lasts up to time scale/scales comparable to the time scale of energy transfer.

In Persian. both singular and plural are acceptable. However, I prefer the plural one.

Thank You

• dadane

English-London
    I don't think it's needed at all because the periods are comparable on the same scale. One of the two 'scale/s' can be left out. However, I would use "a time scale".

yashar

Persian
    Thank You
    I have modified my sentence as the below.

The motivation of this study was the fact that in photosynthesis phenomena it has been observed that quantum coherence lasts up to time scale comparable to that of energy transfer.

dadane

English-London
    The motivation for this study was the fact that in photosynthesis phenomena it has been observed that quantum coherence lasts up to a time scale comparable to that of energy transfer.

Don't forget the a (see previous comment)! I couldn't agree more with your choice of 'that of', it sounds very fluent.

< Previous | Next >