Que chacun prononce en lui-même

kabing

United States, English
Here is the full sentence, which is a direction given to those gathered for a graveside service:

Que chacun prononce en lui-même ses propres paroles d'accompagnement, de souvenir, d'affection et de douleur ou d'espérance

I am unclear if "en lui-même" means the words are to be shared with the others gathered, in which case my translation would be:

You may each say your own words of accompaniment, memory, affection, sadness, or hope.

Or, if "en lui-même" means these are to be "said" silently. I'm inclined to take this as the meaning, but then I'm struggling how to do it smoothly in English. Here's my attempt:

You may each speak in your hearts your own words of accompaniment, memory, affection, sadness, or hope.

Merci,

kabing

• madolo

Here is the full sentence, which is a direction given to those gathered for a graveside service:

Que chacun prononce en lui-même ses propres paroles d'accompagnement, de souvenir, d'affection et de douleur ou d'espérance

I am unclear if "en lui-même" means the words are to be shared with the others gathered,:cross: in which case my translation would be:

You may each say your own words of accompaniment, memory, affection, sadness, or hope.

Or, if "en lui-même" means these are to be "said" silently. I'm inclined to take this as the meaning, but then I'm struggling how to do it smoothly in English. Here's my attempt:

You may each speak in your hearts your own words of accompaniment, memory, affection, sadness, or hope.:tick:

Merci,

kabing

< Previous | Next >