Que dalle !

Born Canadian

English - Canada
I am reading a "Calvin et Hobbes" comic. In this strip Calvin pays Hobbes a Euro to take his bath for him. His mother finds out and makes him take a bath. Calvin demands his Euro back. Hobbes responds - "Que dalle je l'ai déjà dépensé".

Google translate suggests "shit" for "que dalle". Word reference suggests "nothing" but neither of these reads well to me (Shit or Nothing I've already spent it).

Is there a better translation out there?

Thanks for your help.

• wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Hello BC,

I am not sure where you searched in our WR Dictionary, but Que dalle is much more fully covered than you mentioned.

I don't know if Calvin would really say diddly-squat, which is kind of old-fashioned in AE, but probably zilch, zip or nada might fit there.

All of these expressions are AE, maybe in Oz you would put it differently... :)

Born Canadian

English - Canada
    Thanks for that. My problem was not in the translation from WR but that it didn't seem to make sense in that sentence. It seems to make sense with what CarlosRapido said, that it is a contraction. The sentence now makes sense.

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    My son - and I don't know where he got that from as it is supposedly BE - would have said sweet fuck all.

Or you could adapt : Too bad, so sad... I've already spent it.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    My son - and I don't know where he got that from as it is supposedly BE - would have said sweet fuck all.
    Yes, it is predominantly BE, but way too nasty a statement for a little six-year-old like Calvin, I think.

(That would be more in the style of Homer Simpson :D )

Born Canadian

English - Canada
    Nocomon, there have been a few occasions reading C+H that I have searched for other translations because the ones I have found have included expletives. In a novel, I would have accepted them but I knew there had to be a softer translation for it to be used in a comic strip.

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    As I wrote... I completely forgot that Calvin was a child. I must have had some other, more "adult" cartoon in mind.

I'm assuming that my second suggestion doesn't work either as an adapt and that I lost yet another occasion to keep my mouth (or keyboard) shut.
    But then, the threads are open to all. My inappropriate contribution may come in handy for someone who needs to translate « que dalle » in another context.

Incidentally, it's Nicomon but most people call me Nico. ;)

Born Canadian

English - Canada
    Not inappropriate at all. I find it interesting that there can be such a wide variety in translations. In other cases, your suggestion might work better. Thank you for your help.

babinette

french
    Not inappropriate at all. I find it interesting that there can be such a wide variety in translations. In other cases, your suggestion might work better. Thank you for your help.
    Hi...in France "que dalle" is a slang word used to say "nothing at all"..."absolutely nothing". Exemple: You are asked if you got what you were waiting for....if not :" Non que dalle"!

joelooc

French (Provence)
    I think "no way" would fit for "que dalle" in a context that's very close to the frequent answer to "hey, mate can you spare maybe a buck or two ?"

(it's not mandatory, you can also say "there you go" and write a cheque)

Hildy1

English - US and Canada

le chat noir

French
    "que dalle" basically means "rien du tout", and both can be used for a blunt refusal (as in "[je ne ferai] rien du tout [de ce que tu me demandes]" or "[je (ne) ferai] que dalle")

It's listed as a "locution interjective" on wiktionary and an "interjection" in the dictionary of the academy (meaning B).

- Allez, steuplé*, sois sympa, quoi !
    - Que dalle !
    (*) s'il te plaît

- Awww... Come on, man, pleeeease

- No way!

Last edited: