que finit par provoquer une accumulation de catastrophes

skitzoe

singapore
hi, i came across this sentence: "J'ai été pris du fou rire nerveux que finit par provoquer une accumulation de catastrophes lorsque, après un dernier coup du sort, on décide de le traiter comme une plaisanterie."

i'm having some problems understanding how the different parts of the sentence link up. "I was taken by a bout of crazy, nervous laughter that ended up causing a buildup of catastrophes until, with a final blow, we decide to treat it as a joke." that doesn't seem to make much sense... can someone help to decipher this please?

• edmaudantes

French
    I think the key word is "que" that you are mistaking for a "qui". Basically the meaning is that many catastrophes end up in nervous laughter.

lili0

French
    Hello!

I think you with that translation you are not in the context... "I was taken by a nervous laughter due to( usually generate by) a buildup of catastrophes that , with a final blow, you finally consider as a joke". I think this can help you to better translate the sentence.

skitzoe

singapore
    hmm... i'm still not quite clear about this, sorry... could you explain further? about the "que" and the "qui"? how does "que finit par provoquer..." fit together in english?

would it be something like: "I was taken by the nervous laughter that ends up being brought on by a buildup of catastrophes; when, after a final blow, we decide to treat it as a joke"?

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >