quedar v ser

jprjpvrk1

english,USA
Will someone please tell me what is the difference between quedar and ser. I saw a sentence that read: ¿Sabes donde queda el baño? Why can't you just say: ¿Sabes donde es el baño? No entiendo.

• danielfranco

You would have to say, "¿Sabes dónde está el baño?"
    So the verbs "quedar" and "ser" are really different and not only in usage, but also in meaning. "Quedar" is a verb that denotes the permanence of something in a place, similar to the verb "stay".
    "Ser/estar" is more about the existence of the thing.

gdmarcus

English, USA
    Sometimes words don't translate exactly from one language to another. In the above case, "quedar" could be roughly translated as "is located" and the closest dictinary meanings to that would be "to stay'" or " to remain". In other words, as danielfranco said, it indicates that one is asking where the bathroom is permanently located (where it remains or stays).

But one can say "Dónde está el baño" One cannot use ser - look up the different uses of "ser" and "estar", both of which mean "to be" but are used in different contexts. Estar is used when talking about location, as in "Where is the bathroom?"

gdmarcus

English, USA
    Thanks for the help gdmarcus. Although I say "Donde es el baño?" because the bathroom is in a permanent place. Right??
    I'm not a native speaker, so I am not positive but, I believe you must use "estar" rather than "ser" for location. Ser and estar are often difficult for us non-native Spanish speakers because we only have the one word "to be" in English, and Spanish has two; we just need to commit to memory the rules for usage.

< Previous | Next >