queen of the quadrangle

elisazin

Italian
Hi,
here's the context: we are talking about a young, smart, dynamic writer, a girl that you can't avoid looking at (please correct my english!), she's a member of an important and innovative 60s group.
The text says that "when she's not writing or presiding as the queen of the quadrangle, she occupied other pockets of Sidney's Bohemia."

Could it be that the expression queen of the quadrangle is a way of saying that she likes to be the first lady of the situation?
I really don't understand...:confused:

Hope you can help.
Thanks a lot!

• elfa

English
    The only quadrangle I can think of is a quadrangle in a college at university, in particular, Oxford or Cambridge. The quadrangle is the square shaped enclosure of college buildings where students have their rooms, so being "queen of the quadrangle" could mean she was queen of her immediate peer group of students. Is this possible?

elisazin

Italian
    The only quadrangle I can think of is a quadrangle in a college at university, in particular, Oxford or Cambridge. The quadrangle is the square shaped enclosure of college buildings where students have their rooms, so being "queen of the quadrangle" could mean she was queen of her immediate peer group of students. Is this possible?
    Yes, it is absolutely possible!
    In fact the author is talking about her years at the university!
    Thanks a lot Elfa :)

< Previous | Next >