Queen's English

Discussion in 'English Only' started by gabrigabri, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gabrigabri

gabrigabri Senior Member

奥地利
    Italian, Italy (Torino)
    Is it true, that her English is the best one? I hear it once and It was not that cool! :)

2. winklepicker

winklepicker Senior Member

Kent
    English (UK)
    I don't think Her Maj is trying to be cool, gabrigabri. :)

3. gabrigabri

gabrigabri Senior Member

奥地利
    Italian, Italy (Torino)
    :eek: I meant that her accent is weird, I don't like her pronounce! But I'm just an Italian boy who speaks a little bit of English! But my criteria/canons (??)are Birtney Spears and Desperate Housewives! :)

4. Cecily-G-V New Member

English
    This explains a lot. Britney Spears and Desperate Housewives are American and so speak with an American Accent, rather different from any English accent! The Queen speaks with a traditional upper-class aristocrat's english accent. Don't worry - not very many people have such a "posh" accent as that nowadays...

5. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    I think she sounds very distinguished. Have you seen the movie?

6. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Well..It's like saying that Luca Cordero di Montezemolo (just an example of an Italian man who speaks well) has a weird Italian accent and you do prefer the way Francesco Totti speaks Italian :D

7. Tabac Senior Member

Pacific Northwest (USA)
    U. S. - English
    This reminds me of the story about a man who was very exasperated by his son's poor use of language.

"Don't you know the Queen's English?"
    "Yeah, I heard she was."

8. Cecily-G-V New Member

English
    Yes I have. I think it was done really well and although I expected it to be boring it was really interesting and even funny!

And I don't think her English is strange or anything, I was merely saying that it is unusual for anyone of the general public to have a similar accent.

9. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    This thread is going nowhere - except chat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.