Quello che mi frega

simcog87

Italian-Elba Island : Spanish-Colombia,
Hello everyone!

I am not sure about how to translate the verb "fregare" in this particular context:

Negli esami prendo sempre voti bassi perchè quello che mi frega e' il nervosismo, non perchè non studio.

In my exams what TRICKS/ FOOLS/ DECEIVES/ me is nerves (being nervous), not the fact that I do not study.

Thank you in advance

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    I might add: "screws me up" as another alternative.
    It'd be better if you changed your image to :thumbsdown: to show it's something you disagree with. Marking it :cross: is an indication it is incorrect, which it is not (we don't know the intended register).
    I'd go with your alternative as well, I would also expect to hear that, too :)

Lazzini

I might say, and the register is probably midway between the two previous suggestions (and may be also a particularly BE option): "...what really shags me up...".

But if I were communicating with someone on a formal basis, "trips me up" sounds good.

Alxmrphi

UK English
    Where abouts in the UK are you from Lazzini? Just curious as to where that expression would be understood in this sense.
    Shag strictly means have sex with where I am from.

italtrav

English
    Lazzini said:
    ; "...what really shags me up...".:rolleyes:
    Well, farther west of the West country (e.g., Brooklyn;)), you might as well have left it in the original Italian.:D

Last edited by a moderator:

byrne

English - UK (Londoner)
    Negli esami prendo sempre voti bassi perchè quello che mi frega e' il nervosismo, non perchè non studio.

Much depends on the tone and it's hard to get voti basi and fregare in the same sentence without sounding OTT

exam-wise my nervousness / nerves get(s) me regardless of how much I study
    my low grades are down to my anxiousness no matter how much I study

italo-canadese

English - North America
    Hello everyone!

I am not sure about how to translate the verb "fregare" in this particular context:

In my exams what TRICKS/ FOOLS/ DECEIVES/ me is nerves (being nervous), not the fact that I do not study.

Thank you in advance
    I'd say: "What screws me over...", although I think all the aforementioned suggestions work as well.

< Previous | Next >