quemar

nat88

English - New Zealand
Hi,

What is the meaning of quemar when it is used with time?

e.g. Yo quemo mis minutas

• DWO

Spanish - Argentina
    Hi, "minuta" is a food you can cook in a few minutes, so "quemar" is still "burn".
    "I burn my food [when I cook]". I hope it helps.

Aansteken

Spanish (Spain)
    Nat88, why do you link "minutas" to time? Do you mean "minutos"? Or "minutas" in a law or law firm context?

I didn't know "minutas" could also be food, DWO. :)

DWO

Spanish - Argentina
    Well, here in Argentina (I don't know in other countries) we call "minutas" to what I've described. Then I saw Agró's post and now I don't know what the phrase is referring to. It could also be referring to what you say, so I guess we'll have to wait for some more context.

Last edited:

Dario de Kansas

American English
    In English, we say colloquially "to burn" in reference to using something that you have a limited quantity of.

If you have a phone card with 100 minutes and you used 50, you might say, "I burned 50 minutes talking to her." It usually takes on a negative connotation.

I don't know if the same expression exists in Spanish.

nat88

English - New Zealand
    Sorry, I meant minutos. But, for example, if you say "quemo mis horas y mi sangre"? What would be the meaning there?

Aansteken

Spanish (Spain)
    "Quemo mis horas y mi sangre" is very poetic, and so its meaning could be very sensitive to the lingüistic context, but I would say it means something close to what Dario says: "I waste my hours and my blood", or it could also mean "I spend my hours and my blood eagerly, with fury."

Hope it helps!

nat88

English - New Zealand
    It seems quite literal to me to say "I burn my hours and my blood". Is there any other way of putting it, something along the lines of sitting around, waiting, becoming agitated as a result? Your blood boiling?

< Previous | Next >