1. tim fullbright Senior Member

USA-English
    are these 2 completely interchangeable?

I know they both mean "I would like to" but somehow "querría" seems more
    correct to me. I would translate "quisiera" (with my very limited knowledge of
    spanish) as "I was wanting/I was wishing", not exactly "I would like to".

But then of course there is "quería", which is "I was wanting/used to want/wish"

Oh well, somehow this usage of preterito imperfecto subj. as conditional
    confuses me.

any help?

thx!

2. BasedowLives

BasedowLives Senior Member

uSa
    yeah they're pretty much interchangable

i believe some people type queria just either out of laziness or out of not knowing the spelling.

3. josama Senior Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Colombia, Spanish
    You're right. This is a misuse of subjunctive in Spanish, but it's so widespread that you will hardly find someone who doesn't use it.

The exact translation for "quisiera" is "(if) I wanted". So, for example:

Si yo quisiera ir, iría -> If I wanted to go, I'd go.
    Some people (a lot, really) tend to be confused by the usage of the subjunctive, so they end up using the subjunctive both for the subjuntive and the conditional:
    Yo quisiera :cross: ir, si Ana fuera :tick: también.
    In the example above, the person shouldn't use subjunctive in the first clause, but a lot of people do that. The right phrase would sound like this:
    Yo querría :tick: ir, si Ana fuera :tick: también.​

So, YES, you're right. Some people tend to mess things up a little with some verbs like querer and ser...

In self-standing clauses, like the one you said, it's very likely to hear someone saying:
    Yo quisiera probarme ese pantalón. (subjunctive)

but in fact, she/he means:

Me gustaría probarme ese pantalón. (conditional)
    Although in this case I don't know how good or bad the first one would be. My bet is that conditional should be used, but I'm not that sure... Gonna think about it​

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo moderator

Arizona
    American English
    Not completely. I didn't think querría was very common and that most people use quisiera for all their subjunctive needs... until I did a search for "querria" in the forum and got a lot of hits. The foreros seem to use it often. Here's the thread I was looking for: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=36270&highlight=querria

Hope it helps.

5. surfin_bird Senior Member

Spain
    Although a lot of spanish people (and sometimes me too :rolleyes: ) use this verb wrongly, when is a conditional sentences, querría never can be used as a conditional
    ex:
    Si yo querría:cross: venir, mi perro también quisiera:cross: venir.
    Si yo quisiera:tick: venir, mi perro también querría:tick: venir.

But it's a very very very common mistake, even here. :eek:

6. tim fullbright Senior Member

USA-English
    thank you very much for responses everybody! very much appreciated

7. cero

cero Senior Member

Washington, DC
    North American English
    Since quisiera is the Imperfect Subjunctive it can be tohouht of as "I wish". For example:
    ¿Le gustaria algo de beber?
    "Yo quisiera pedir un vino por favor."

Would you like something to drink?
    "I wish to order a wine please."

This is a description of the speaker's wish. It is being formal and polite. It is polite because the speaker leaves the possibility there is no wine by using the subjunctive and expressing the desire as a wish.

8. kurumin

kurumin Senior Member

salvador bahia brasil, brazilian portuguese & tupy
    That's very interesting.
    I would like to know if we can use Imperfect in Spanish, in WOULD LIKE TO clauses, like in Italian or Portuguese

I would like to....know

In Italian: VORREI or VOLEVO...sapere (both used, Conditional and Imperfect)
    In Portuguese: (EU) QUERIA ...saber (Imperfect; Conditional QUERERIA is never used)

:)

9. lazarus1907 Senior Member

Lincoln, England
    Spanish, Spain
    The verbs "querer" and "deber" can be used in "imperfecto de subjuntivo en -ra" (quisiera, debiera) instead of the conditional (querría, debería) when used in polite expressions. This is not supposed to be acceptable with other verbs.

This rule is in any decent Spanish grammar, and it is due to the etymology of the Spanish verbs.

10. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Can they be used in the imperfect indicative with the same sense, as well?

11. Joannes Senior Member

Antwerp
    Belgian Dutch
    Lo quisiera saber también. Anyone?

12. Sautée Senior Member

Spanish
    You mean like going into a bar and ask "Quería una cerveza, por favor..."?

mmmmhhh it sounds weird...I would feel funny saying it, and I guess it would sound even funnier in a foreigner, but I don't know if there's a rule about it.

13. Joannes Senior Member

Antwerp
    Belgian Dutch
    Yes, that is what I meant. Thank you for your answer.