question about "espouse "

liangweipeng

Chinese-China
In sentence

"We behave as amateur psychologists when we offer opinions on complex psychological phenomena, such as whether brain-washing works, or when we espouse as facts our opinions about why other people behave in the ways that they do: think they are being insulted, feel unhappy, or suddenly give up their jobs. "

Can the clause "we espouse as facts our opinions about why other people behave in the ways that they do" be understood as "we espouse 【our opinions about why other people behave in the ways that they do】 as facts ?

And what is the meaning of " espouse ... as facts"?

Thanks~!

• liangweipeng

Chinese-China
    You're essentially correct. "... when we promote/present our opinions as (though they are) facts."
    Thanks a lot.

I have looked up the verb "espouse" and found its meaning " (decide to) support."

I can't understand why "espouse" means " promote/present"...

could you explain in detail?

Thanks again.

sound shift

English - England
    Hello,

"Espouse" has several meanings.
    WordReference Random House Unabridged Dictionary of American English © 2016
    es•pouse (i spouz, i spous),
    v.t., -poused, -pous•ing.
    1. to make one's own;
      adopt or embrace, as a cause.
    2. to marry.
    3. to give (a woman) in marriage.
    You could susbstitute "adopt" or "embrace" for "espouse" in your sentence.

"To espouse as facts our opinions..." means to treat beliefs which are merely opinions as if they were irrefutable facts.

Copyright

American English
    I have looked up the verb "espouse" and found its meaning " (decide to) support."
    I can't understand why "espouse" means " promote/present"...
    could you explain in detail?
    One of the definitions in the Random House Dictionary is promote: espouse. I just added "present," which I think also works here and is in keeping with the "promote" definition.

< Previous | Next >